Whatever happened to Vinnie Politan (Metropolitan Records)

damultieditjunke

Reaction score
Former A&R director for Metropolitan Records and featured on a lot of 12" singles that Metro put out back in the day - http://www.courttv.com/anchors/vinnie_politan.html

The last I remember Vinnie Politan became a lawyer and so did Joey Gold (Joey produced and wrote alot of freestyle songs for metropolitan) Vinnie Politan had those famous "metro message" at the end of the 12inch record leting you know for upcoming new music on the metropolitan label........those where the days....., Jerry Salerno the owner of Metropolitan Records in Newark continued to put out freestyle records I think up to around mid to late 1997 from that point the record label closed as far as I know. I remember going to metropolitan records to buy freestyle 12 inches back in the days ...In the front was the offices in the back was the pressing plant where they pressed the records and cds..........

Last edited:

Frankie Cutlass

Reaction score
My opinion? It was labels like that one that f**k up the genre of freestyle music, pulling out all that garbage. Thank god they not around any longer.
vomit537my7.jpg

CEESIL

ClubFreestyle Power DJ
Reaction score
come on, give them some credit, they had a few hits under there belts as well..i am not saying they were the best label but back in 89-91 if you were buying mic mac and cutting you you were picking up metropolitan like wise for onna roll...

ChuckD

The Gay Lord of Freestyle
Reaction score
What was wrong with Metro?

I have singles from Linda Valenti, Deniz, Laissiez Faire, and April. I thought the stuff was good.

Sure, they weren't Cutting or MicMac, but all the stuff wasn't bad.

CEESIL

ClubFreestyle Power DJ
Reaction score
chuck i agree it was in like the end of 92 they fell off although i did buy all the viper 12 inches as well, i just support fthe reestyle down right

RUMMYG

Reaction score
chuck i agree it was in like the end of 92 they fell off although i did buy all the viper 12 inches as well, i just support fthe reestyle down right
Viper gave Metro a bad rap sheet. You can thank one party for the downfall of Freestyle.

CEESIL

ClubFreestyle Power DJ
Reaction score
freestyle was already gone from radio when viper appeared on the scene and i'll be loving was all over z100 back in 93' i am not saying viper was a good label but it kept metro afloat for a little bit...

Frankie Cutlass

Reaction score
Top 7 Best Freestyle labels.

1- Fever Records
2- Cutting Records
3- Ligosa Records
4- Sleeping Bag/ Fresh Records
5- Criminal Records
6- Tommy Boy Records
7- Next Plateau Records

CEESIL

ClubFreestyle Power DJ
Reaction score
frankie i agree that the labels you mentioned were good but most of them didn't have a lot of artist, ligosa had loose touch, monet & jason tomi, sleeping bag had joyce simms, nocera & hanson & davis, tommy boy had tka and information society, criminal records had babie & keys and tina b next plateau had c bank, cutting had a lot too many too mention and mic mac had a lot as well fever had a hand full as well...

damultieditjunke

Reaction score
I thought this thread was about what happend to Vinnie Politan of Metropolitan Records?...LOL ...not what labels put out the best quality freestyle......
yes back in the day there were several labels (independent and major) putting good freestyle and bad as well but that comes with any style of music......
Metropolitan put out good freestyle in the late 80s and early 90s
I am talking about Metropolitan as a label not as a Distributer because they did distribute viper and tiamo....(which had a few good songs mainly trash though)...but the Metropolitan label it self (not as a distributer)...was a freestyle power house and put out alot of good music....
these lables where dedicated and known for and put out alot of good freestyle:
metropolitan
mic mac
cutting
fever
onna roll
high power records
of course you have serverl other lables like Frankie mentioned criminal records,next plateau,tommy boy, etc, however these lables put out only some freestyle....

Micmac,cutting,metropolitan,onna roll,fever,high power.....where known for dedicated freestyle....and alot of it
then come mid 90s, you also had tazmania,hot,artistik ,viper,tiamo,hot productions

also Frankie says alot of the garbage freestyle that came out is one of the reasons freestyle faded away.....I have to largely disagree with this statement.....because there is tons of garbage hip hop , house , trance , etc and the music continues to be produced and sold so how do you explain that? you have your good and bad in any style of music.....besides when freestyle started to fade away in the early 90s there was alot of good freestyle being produced....so that statement does not make much sense.... Bad freestyle realy started to come out in in the masses around the mid 90s...but freestyle had already preety much faded out at this point already anyways...........the reason it faded out was because hispanics did not stick together in the industry and make there voice heard when it came to freestyle...if they did freestyle would still be going strong today...

Last edited:

ChuckD

The Gay Lord of Freestyle
Reaction score
frankie i agree that the labels you mentioned were good but most of them didn't have a lot of artist, ligosa had loose touch, monet & jason tomi, sleeping bag had joyce simms, nocera & hanson & davis, tommy boy had tka and information society, criminal records had babie & keys and tina b next plateau had c bank, cutting had a lot too many too mention and mic mac had a lot as well fever had a hand full as well...

Don't forget, the first 3 Sweet Sensation songs were also on Next Plateau.

Frankie Cutlass

Reaction score
Bullshit. The entire Metropolitan catalog did have some good tracks. Not all of that shit was garbage.
And to be honest, a lot of the labels had garbage, and some of them are still putting out trash.
I use to be in the Both at Heartthrob & 1018 with Little Louie Vega from 1986 to 1993, why I never seen any Metropolitan Records get spin? Anywhere you guy's like that cheesy Freestyle; my selection of freestyle records had integrity:p .