The Real Kings & Queens Of Freestyle Are As Follows:

FreestyleWizard

Reaction score
You guys say that Judy Torres and Cynthia are the Queens of Freestyle, they are good but they're not the Queens. Why are they not the queens, the reasons are as follows:
Niether one ever had a music videos.
Niether one has traveled out of the US for performance reasons.
Niether one has ever been on a major label.
Niether one has made any kind of major impact or even a dent in the music industry.
I'm not player hating....they have been around a very long time, & have always done very good shows, but that's no reason to call them the queens! Princesses maybe!
I feel that the TRUE QUEENS "DIVAS" OF FREESTYLE are as follows:
This is in random order:
Brenda K. Star-was on a major label....MCA Records & Columbia, had music videos, was on tour with acts such as New Kids On The Block & Bobby Brown, has appeared on the "Hollywood Squares", and has cameoed on films, also discovered Mariah Carey!!!! etc. etc......
The Beautiful Safire- has been on 3 major labels, Polygram...MCA....Sony, has done 7 music videos, participated in the "She-Devil" sound-track starring Rosanne, was nominated for 7 New York Music awards in which she won 5 of them, and one of them being "Thinking of You" which was the #1 played song of the year. First Latina Artist ever to be honored with the cover of Spin Magazine, has traveled the world, ie. Japan & all of Europe, and has appeared on many prime-time TV Shows such as The Pat Sajack Show, The Joan Rivers Show, American Band Stand, Club MTV, and the list goes on & on.
Lissette Melendez- Brought Freestyle Back from the Dead, has won a Grammy in Japan, has done the Apollo, Arsenio Hall SHow, was with Def-Jam and Sony, not to mention her video for Goody-Goody was directed by long-time friend & superster Rosie Perez.
As For Kings, they are:
Stevie B-One of the first Freestyle artist to go Gold with his first two albums, and has traveled the world, has done Arsenio Hall, American Band Stand, he has done it all.
George Lamond-"The New Breed". He was on Columbia Records, has done several music videos, was on tour with New Kids On The Block, and continues to make great music in both the English and Latin markets.
This is my opinion, THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING!
Now these are the Top group female artists:
Expose-First Freestyle act ever to cross over to the pop world, and stay there.
Cover Girls-These girls have done it all.....from Sprite Commericals, performing on Soul Train, several videos, toured Japan, #1 record in Japan that year was "Show Me" which beat out Michael Jackson "The King Of Pop", major label was Capital Records.
Sweet Sensation-Major label was Atlantic Records, #1 record on the Pop Charts was "If Wishes Came True", traveled the world, won several New York Music Awards, toured with New Kids On The Block, appeared on the Apollo & so many TV shows that there are too many to mention.
And Now The Heavy-Weight Champs which no one has ever been able to take away their belts is TKA! They've Done it all and are still doing it! I.E. Energizer Bunny, They keep GOING & GOING & GOING!
Some of you guys have been ill-informed in the past, or maybe you just slept through the 80's and the early part of the 90's, SO THE WIZARD IS HERE TO WAKE YOU UP, SO WAKE UP & SMELL THE COFFEE OR IF YOU LIKE WE CAN MEET UP AT STARBUCKS CAUSE WE ARE IN THE NEW MILLENIUM!
Check yourself & think before you comment because the Wizard does not only know his facts, but has lived through Freestyle's beginning, prime, and downfall. Feel free to post.

PEACE IN THE MIDDLE-EAST
LOVE THE FreestyleWizard!

Company B

Reaction score
WOW!
...I must agree with most of what u said!

...but You forgot the 1st LATINA in
Freestyle/Latin Hip-Hop to do it all 1st,
which was......LISA LISA!

Shannon, Tina B, Nayobe, The early Expose', & Brenda K were around at that time....

but Lisa Lisa started the path in this genre!
& made it HUGE!

Shannon came out 1st,...but was not Hispanic.
& Nayobe is conidered the 1st Latin Freestyle artist cuz both her, & her producers were LATIN. So I guess u can give her that credit ...since it's true,.....but..

I say The ULTIMATE queen is by far LISA LISA!

& The ULTIMATE kings are: TKA & Stevie B!

I LOVE Cynthia & Judy Torres to death!....but they are NOT the queens! & thats no arguement.

The QUEEN of the "new-school" is definately LISETTE MELENDEZ!

& I also KNOW my facts! ...LOL!

: )

Orgntr1

Reaction score
Paterson, NJ A reject city with good New York su
Ummm I like your post man but just because one artist wasnt in a major label or were around old school mainstream peeps dont mean jack crap. Its their music and how we embrace them that makes them what they are.

Brenda K Starr just so happens to be a fave of mine but I dont think shes a queen just because she s on a major label. that is stupid. If I were to take her in as queen of anything it would be because of her music more than anything. Another note, Brenda dont do freestyle anyways. And if she has it surely wasnt enough for us to take her in as a fellow freestyle artist.

I once did a freestyle queen vote poll and Cynthia got in most of the votes though. So that if anything would make her queen. Although Kenny and my votes were for Sa-Fire but what the hell at least two of us thinks she was awesome.

Nyasia

Reaction score
Orgntor1,

That makes three of us!! Although she feels very uncomfortable being pegged with titles, but I totally agree with you on that. She is truly amazing! and for my pick it would definitely be Safire.

Punto y se acabo!...lolol ;)

Naya

Vinss-T

Reaction score
FreestyleWizard said:
You guys say that Judy Torres and Cynthia are the Queens of Freestyle, they are good but they're not the Queens. Why are they not the queens, the reasons are as follows:
Niether one ever had a music videos.
Niether one has traveled out of the US for performance reasons.

WHAT?? :eek: Cynthia came to Toronto just a few weeks ago to sing at the Euro Freestyle Invasion!!! She has been out of the US for exactly performance reasons.

and I have a question. Just how big was freestyle back in the day? As popular as pop artists now? I need some comparison here

Kenny Guido

Staff member
Reaction score
FREESTYLE was huge back in the day, almost as big as todays arists. the videos were on all the time. the groups and artists were always on tour. thier music could be found everywhere. it was all over the radio and the clubs. there couldnt be a better era to grow up in!

you were never embarrassed to say you listened to FREESTYLE like many kids feel about the teenie bop crap of today.

SANDMAN

Reaction score
FreestyleWizard, you are on the money. You are one of the few on this board who truly knows their freestyle history. i could definately relate to you. I've always said only a handful of freestyle/dance artist have accomplished sooo much in their careers and very few fans know this.

it's true that judy & cynthia are popular in the club circuit, but didnt quite crossover. Perhaps it was lack of support from management, labels etc.... the same applies to many other artists.

freestylewizard, just to add SAFIRE also won 3 desi awards (latin awards) and the ASCAP award (writing her smash "thinking of you"). and has appeard in many, many magazines like US MAGAZINE, DJ TIMES, ELLE, COSMOPOLITAN, ETC....and has recorded a song written by michael jackson "i never heard" from her second album and recorded " i will survive " in paisley park studios (prince's studio), and has serve as producer & writer.

Felix

Reaction score
Mad Props to FreestyleWizard!!!!!!!
You hit everything right on point.....and you're right, no one can argue with you on these points, they are facts!
And Kenny Guido...New Kids On The Block at that time was as big if not bigger then Nsync is today....so that was definitely a big deal.

Kenny Guido

Staff member
Reaction score
HEY, the big freestyle fans used to make fun of the new kids on the block just as we make fun of the new boy/girl groups of today. no self respecting person my age was caught dead listening to new kids!

jparker

Reaction score
Just an FYI to the Freestyle Wizard:

Judy Torres had a video. It was for the first song from the 2nd album on Profile. The song was "I love you for all seasons."

Also of note is that Judy was one of the first to bring freestyle to the masses and if not for her success, major labels NEVER would have noticed the acts that came after her.

I too was "there" and know pretty well how the game works.

I think the whole idea of King & Queen of whatever is a pretty subjective thing and everyone will have their points as to why one should or shouldn't be considered but being on Hollywood Squares really shouldn't count. Appearing on that show is something that most stars try to avoid doing. :)

John Parker
Robbins Entertainment

toni

Reaction score
to me freestyle king or queen emulates everything freestyle is was or will be....to me some of ur choices just dont do that...it matters not which label they were on...to me its the representation....female from ur list i would have to also say safire, male george lamond

also people please...we have talked about this sooooo much that it is a tired subject...we dont have kings and queens in america...so lets not have it in freestyle...it is fun to talk about but i am sure it is just getting old...i have taken part in many of these forums, but how many times can the same points be said...anyway that is my opinion

Felix

Reaction score
Hey Kenny....that's not the point!!!!
I'm not a fan of New Kids, Nsync or any other little boy and girl band....the point is that when they performed, they would fill up a stadium of up to 40,000 people, and by acts such as the Cover Girls openning up for them, that was MAJOR EXPOSURE for both them and especially Freestyle Music.

And JParker.....Judy's video was done with a camcorder, so you can hardly consider that a professional video (but once again, I'm not taking anything away from her....she is great!) And Profile was not a major label....it was an independent label with a major distributor.

Felix

Reaction score
And Jparker....one more thing.....

Jparker Says:
"Also of note is that Judy was one of the first to bring freestyle to the masses and if not for her success, major labels NEVER would have noticed the acts that came after her."

How can you say this!!!!!
SAFIRE, COVER GIRLS, NAYOBE, LISA LISA all came way before her, were signed with indepentent labels then went on to MAJOR Labels and are responisble for putting Fresstyle on the map!

I Love Judy to death, she is one of the top "DIVAS" and will always be a legend, but you can even ask her yourself and I know even she'll disagree with you. But if you say that she is one of the major figures that is bringing back Freestyle...then I'll agree with you there....cause she is!

And as for Profile Records.....true it had some big names.....but if you try to compare them to Sony, Polygram, Atlantic, Columbia, etc.... you will be laughed at!

But to agree with Toni, girl you're right....I'm also tired of seeing this on clubfreestyle, reason why I hardly post....it gets tired! But if this topic has to be brought up and talked about, then it should be talked about in the right way with the true facts!

Company B

Reaction score
AAAAHHHH ...WHO CARES!!!! (LOL!)
Que se' JODA!!!

What we ALL need to know, is that we ALL LOVE FREESTYLE! That's what really matters!

Although it is true that some are considered The "Kings/Queens" by coming out first, having more hits & abums, or having more exposure,

It all comes down to ........the fan.

Besides the "real" facts, it really matters to what "YOU" think is the King/ Queen, by who "YOU" love the most!

LOL....Lisette Melendez may be the queen of "new-school", but If a die-hard NYASIA fan considers Nyasia "HIS "Queen", then that's what it is to him, cuz that's what matters to him most.

& Safire was one of the 1st artists to actually have a debut album with ALMOST 100% hardcore Freestyle, while most of our Veterans, had about 4-5 Freestyle jamz & the rest was Pop & Ballads.

TO ME......ALL of the artists involved in this genre of music from the early 80's to the early-mid 90's, are ALL MY KINGS & QUEENS!!!
SO THERE!!!!!! (LOL!)

As Naya & my Mom say: "Punto Y Se Acabo!"

LOL!

: )

MARKLUVZCYNTHIA

Reaction score
Cynthia was on Tommy Boy for a hot minute. that label is pretty big. she is definately up there. as far as not even making a dent in music?...c'mon man! every person on here knows who she is and all her songs. also, look at her long running success with "if i had the chance". i've also seen that song on many popular dance compilations where it was the one & only freestyle track! so ya cant really say she hasnt had an impact!

as far as a queen, you would be implying a mother, the woman who starts it all. it is debatable as to which woman that would be but i would think the choices would b:

Nayobe
Shannon
Lisa Lisa

i would pick a queen by the most talented out of all which would hands down be, Nayobe.

That's right people, i am saying NAYOBE is the queen of freestyle!

:eek:

MR.FREESTYLE

Reaction score
JUDY TORRES WAS ON A MAJOR RECORD LABEL SHE WAS ON PROFILE RECORDS. SO WAS ROB BASE AND EZ ROCK, RUN DMC JUST TO NAME TOO. I REMEMBER BUYING A LOT OF 12"'S FROM PROFILE. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A PRETTY BIG FREESTYLE AND HIP HOP LABEL. SO CHECK YOUR HISTORY FIRST. JUDY DOSN'T NEED TO TRAVEL SHE HAS BEEN IN THE BUSINESS FOR EVER SHE HAS NOT GONE AWAY AND SHE ALSO PERFORMED A FEW MILLION SHOWS SO I THINK YOU SHOULD RETHINK IT.

jparker

Reaction score
Felix, just to clarify a few points. The video was not shot on a camcorder. It certainly wasn't a high budget video but at the time (as now) there wasn't any good reason to spent 6 figures on a dance video. But it did cost in the low 5 figures to get that video done.

Secondly, I never said that Profile was a major label. I worked there for 5 years and I'm quite familiar with what they were. At one point Profile was the largest Independent record label in the country. They owned their own distribution company and were not distributed by a major until the late 90's when they were brought by Arista. For those that aren't familiar with the term, "Major Label". It refers to labels that are distributed by either Sony, Universal, Cema/EMI, WEA or BMG. Or any of the names that they call themselves week to week.

Sa-fire came on to the scene after Judy. The Cover Girls were around the same time. Nayobe was around before Judy as was Lisa Lisa but to be honest I don't remember anyone saying they were "Freestyle" until after the term became popular. I might be wrong about that part but that is what I recall. Maybe Sal from Fever would be able to help us with that question.

Have a nice weekend all.

John Parker
Robbins Entertainment