~*~Person Stabbed At The Vibe Awards Taping~*~

LaBettyBoop

Reaction score
SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- A fight broke out near the stage at the Vibe awards ceremony as rapper Snoop Dogg and producer Quincy Jones were preparing to honor Dr. Dre., and one person was stabbed, authorities and witnesses said.

Dozens of people sitting near the stage Monday inside a hangar at the Santa Monica airport began shoving each other as the show wound down about 7:30 p.m.

News video showed chairs being thrown, punches flying, people chasing one another and some being restrained.

It was unclear if the stabbing preceded or followed the fight. The victim, a 26-year-old man, was taken to a hospital and was listed in stable condition.

No arrests were made.

Witness Frank Williams said Dr. Dre was involved in the brawl.

"I saw Dr. Dre fighting somebody," Williams told KCAL-TV. "I don't know if he was fighting back. But there was a guy taken out basically bloodied."

The Los Angeles Times, citing an unnamed associate of Dr. Dre, said the melee broke out as the acclaimed hip-hop producer was sitting at a front-row table waiting to receive the Vibe Legend Award. A man walked up to Dr. Dre's table and punched him, and Dr. Dre's bodyguards went after the man, the associate said.

Dr. Dre was about to join Jones and Snoop Dogg on stage to receive the award for his lifetime contributions to hip-hop. "Come on, your messing up my rap, man," Jones said.

Andrea Ferguson, employed by a public relations firm that worked with Vibe for the second annual awards ceremony, called the incident a "disruption" but declined to provide details. She added the show was allowed to continue but it was halted for about five minutes.

"My understanding is that it was somewhat chaotic in there," police Lt. Frank Fabrega said in a press conference following the fight.

About 1,000 people attended the event; some scurried for the exits when the melee began. The show was taped Monday and was expected to be broadcast on the UPN network Tuesday.

"It's really important that we don't take a negative incident like this and do away with the awards," Suge Knight told reporters.

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and the late Tupac Shakur were among the artists signed to Knight's Death Row Records during its height in the early 1990s. After leaving the label, Dr. Dre started the highly successful Aftermath Records, which has signed stars including Eminem.

When Knight was released in 2001 from a five-year prison term for assault and weapons violations, Dr. Dre obtained a court order to keep Knight away from him, The Times said. It was unclear whether the order remained in effect Monday.

Vibe magazine focuses on urban culture and entertainment. The awards are voted on by music journalists and "regional tastemakers." R&B singer Usher led the awards with five nominations, followed by Alicia Keys, who has four nominations.

myonlysweetie

Reaction score
Police Seeking G-Unit Rapper Young Buck

By RYAN PEARSON
Associated Press Writer
LOS ANGELES

Police were searching for rapper Young Buck in connection with a stabbing at the Vibe Awards, an assault apparently sparked when Buck's musical mentor, Dr. Dre, was punched just before being handed a lifetime achievement award.

Buck fled the Santa Monica airport hangar where the awards show was being taped Monday night, police Lt. Frank Fabrega said in a statement. A warrant was being prepared alleging assault with a deadly weapon.

The incident was sparked as Snoop Dogg and Vibe magazine founder Quincy Jones were about to give Dre a lifetime achievement award. A man later identified as Jimmy James Johnson approached Dre, who was seated at a table in front of the stage, and appeared to ask for an autograph before punching the veteran hitmaker, police said.

People began shoving, chairs were thrown and punches flew. Some in the audience of about 1,000 scurried for the exits. Alicia Keys, the night's top winner with awards for artist of the year and best R&B song, was among those who fled.

Johnson was dragged away by security staff, but then suffered a serious stab wound when he was attacked by a number of people, including Buck, whose real name is David Darnell Brown, according to police. He is signed to Dr. Dre's record label as part of the G-Unit clique, which was named best group by the music magazine.

"Brown is clearly depicted (on videotape) as holding a knife after the assault and is one of a number of fight participants that was pepper-sprayed by officers in their attempt to stop this fight," Police Chief James Butts told a news conference. "We're asking Mr. David Darnell Brown to surrender himself to police."

Johnson, 26, was in stable condition at a hospital.

"It is unfortunate that an event so many people worked very hard to create has been tainted by the actions of a few individuals," Kenard Gibbs, president of Vibe, said in a statement.

Many in the constantly feuding rap community speculated that longtime Dre antagonist Suge Knight, who attended the awards, arranged for Dre to get punched. Suge and Dre started the legendary Death Row record label together in the late 1980s, then had a bitter separation over money and the violence that has surrounded Knight during his 15 years in the music business.

Knight denied any involvement in the attack on Dre.

"One thing about me, if I do something, I'm (taking responsibility)," Knight told reporters after the show. "I'm not an idiot. See, an idiot would go out there and do stuff."

Buck, a native of Nashville, Tenn., is a member of superstar 50 Cent's G-Unit posse. He released his debut solo album, "Straight Outta Ca$hville," in August, and it debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard charts.

For those who listen to Buck and G-Unit's hardcore rhymes, it's no surprise that Buck would spring to the defense of his godfather Dre, one of the architects of gangsta rap. And although there were metal detectors at the door, performers aren't typically searched when they enter an awards show.

It wasn't the first hip-hop awards show to be interrupted by violence: The 2000 Source Awards were marred by fights - and then got their highest TV ratings ever.

After the Vibe fracas was squelched Monday night, the taping continued. The show, broadcast Tuesday night on UPN, was seamlessly edited to remove any trace of the attack.

"They can't stop me. I don't care," Dre said on television as he accepted his award, showing no signs of injury.

mike4949

Reaction score
I have to say. For me who is half black, It just breaks my heart to always hear about a stabbing or a shooting at an award show like Vibe or The Source! I'm not making it a race issue, but it breaks my heart to always hear this at these award shows.

mike4949

Reaction score
It a shame!!!! It's just sad. mainly Quincy Jones who work hard to put this together. He has done lots for this music industry throughout the years only for this to happen. Just awful!!!

Latin Nation

Recording / Performing Artist
Reaction score
I'm going to stab artie at the Diamante show, so that Freestyle gets some noise...lol...J/K
But for real it is a shame that this crap happens, and like mike a friend of mine who happens to be Black, she was saying, that's the reason they don't get no respect. And is sad, they should've learn after Biggie, Tupac, and Jam Master Jay incident. Jealosy get's you NO WHERE!!!
But you know this is going to keep putting more fire on to this crap, just watch!

DiaMoND_GiRL

Reaction score
These rappers are always offended that they are being referred to as thugs and deliquents... but when u act like that ... starting fights at shows... how do they want ppl viewing them as...? Its sad... but thats how they get more publicity and more ppl buyin they albums...

Caleb-B

Reaction score
Latin Nation said:
I'm going to stab artie at the Diamante show, so that Freestyle gets some noise...lol...J/K
But for real it is a shame that this crap happens, and like mike a friend of mine who happens to be Black, she was saying, that's the reason they don't get no respect. And is sad, they should've learn after Biggie, Tupac, and Jam Master Jay incident. Jealosy get's you NO WHERE!!!
But you know this is going to keep putting more fire on to this crap, just watch!
LOL, Man its sad but true. It may take something that foolish to give freestyle some lime light (not you stabbing your freind) but tou dig waht im sayin...As far as we know that wasnt just some scam for head lines....DR. DRE has lost a tramendouse amount of respect on the west caost and his street credibility has always been questioned...., and now hes a sale out, doin work for any one who will pay him...(yes , thats how you get rich) but damn have some pride! I wouldnt be supprised if half this stuff is staged....after all thease are just STUDIO GANGSTAS.

DiaMoND_GiRL

Reaction score
Unique_Freestyle said:
Thank you......... Controversy sells.

Exactly.

Latin Nation said:
I wouldnt be supprised if half this stuff is staged....after all thease are just STUDIO GANGSTAS.
I dont doubt it for a minute that it was staged... G-Unit hasnt had n e good songs lately... not like they did to begin with... But their songs havent been getting much air play... They were big about yr-yr and a half ago...they just did it cuz they need to sell dem records... oh well...

As for Dre.. i thought he was over that shiat. Apparently not...

Cuddie Cut

Reaction score
their is way more behind that, then people think or see.......I'm not surprised to see Suge's name tho....that's for damn sure....

Freestygal

Reaction score
Sorrt to say this but thats because most of these rappers are pieces of u-know-what. Sad that these are today's role models for kids. Then we wonder why a lot of kids have problems.

Randi (FreestyleGal)