Marisa Lopez: Then and now...

Harv Roman

Radio Personality : WCEV 1450 AM Chicago
Reaction score
Marisa Lopez was a Chicago based artist whose unreleased "I Can't Promise You Love" was a huge radio and Club hit-even though it never saw the light of day-beyond those of us who got original test pressings more than ten years ago.

The song was the reason why Charlie Babie left the East Coast and settled here in Chicago. What most of you don't know is that Nelson "FFWD" Cruz was an original choice to produce the tune, but we honestly couldn't get a hold of him (surprise!). I was also close to Charlie, so I then recommended him to the manager of the project. What you also may not know is that there were publicity shots of Marisa featured as a Metropolitan Records artist, but the deal fell through and discouraged her so much that she gave up on the project. She remained a performer, but mostly sang spanish tunes at social events.

Marisa is now in her 11th year as a Chicago Public School teacher. I have introduced her to Clubfreestyle and she has read some of the posts which ask "Whatever Happened To"...

Now you know: The first shot features Marisa, Charlie and the cake that ended up on 28th and Ridgeway after my final WCYC broadcast in 1994. The second shot is a recent photo taken of a still stunning Marisa Lopez this past year.

Marisa celebrates her 36th birthday this week, so this is a bit timely. Please make her feel welcome as I try and twist Marisa into a pretzel in order to convince her that it's not such a bad idea to come back and perform for an upcoming WCYC Reunion event....

Enjoy and remember the times (a LAW song, no?),

Harv Roman

Reaction score
New Hampshire (now) The land of the 'Family Wre
Wow talk about a blast from the past, she looks great. I actually met her when I lived in Chicago in the early 90's (N. Kimball and Foster) through my friend who worked at the Gramaphone, down on Clark and Diversy, and I saw her at a venue there and she has a great voice. Tell her not to be shy, we all give up on the seen (due to deals gone REAL BAD), but that this is a great place to connect with those who really love the music.

taezee

Reaction score
taezee said:
okay how can we actually hear that song? im a big charlie baby fan!!!
uuum hello mc fly..bueler bueler anybody??? music clip..mp3..kareeoke sample..jingle..???? WHERE CAN I HEAR THIS???

Harv Roman

Reaction score
Marisa is currently constructing a website to highlight her availability as a recording and voice over artist...the website will include a version of "I Can't Promise You Love". In the meanwhile, here's another look at her-now that her birthday has passed...

Harv

Harv Roman

Reaction score
Marisa performing...

Here's the only shot that I have of Marisa performing at Chicago's long defunct Alcatrazz Nightclub...