Long Island Baby-sitting rates? Help....

Dianita

Reaction score
OK my fellow LIers, I desperately need an opinion. Tommorrow, I have an interview with a child I may get to baby-sit. He's 3(and potty-trained), and his dad is a single father at Brookhaven Airport. What would be a fair rate for both of us. Him being a single father, I wouldn't want to charge too much or send him running, and I need money too...so what are the rates? What would you pay? My sister was paying me $25 a day and this would be from about 8am to 5:30.

xXTheORIGINATORxX

Reaction score
Dianita said:
OK my fellow LIers, I desperately need an opinion. Tommorrow, I have an interview with a child I may get to baby-sit. He's 3(and potty-trained), and his dad is a single father at Brookhaven Airport. What would be a fair rate for both of us. Him being a single father, I wouldn't want to charge too much or send him running, and I need money too...so what are the rates? What would you pay? My sister was paying me $25 a day and this would be from about 8am to 5:30.

I have a friend who is giving $8 an hour to a babysitter. $8 an hour is reasonable.

Either way, you want to use the terms "$8 an hour" just so that it won't sound like you're charging too much. ;)

Dianita

Reaction score
Ouch that sounds like alot...I'd be getting like $360 a week for 1 kid, and to think my sister was paying me $25 a week...Would it be wrong to find out his income and go by a certain percent?

Kenny Guido

Staff member
Reaction score
well, babysitting can be expensive. if you charge your sister $125 a week, thats very good. how well do you know the man? $150-$250 is the range you could go for.

payac

Reaction score
$125.00 for a 9 hour day.. $20.00 for each additional hour if you don't have to feed him breakfast lunch and dinner. if you do then $150.00 per week thats fair. thats a little over $11.00 per hour.

Kenny Guido

Staff member
Reaction score
theres a woman down the block from me that watches over 15 kids and she makes tons of money. we call her "wacky jackie" and she doesnt even watch the kids. she leaves them unattended outside her home and doesnt allow them all in her house. its disgusting. she took them all to burger king once and left one child behind. the police had to take the child home. the worst part is the woman's husband is a cop as well.

payac

Reaction score
The Question Is What Kind Of Parent Would Leave Their Child With Wacky Jackie?

payac

Reaction score
DianitA... Preschools Can Range From 270-350 A Week For 1/2 Days So 150-250 Is Pretty Reasonable For A Whole Day.

Last edited:

Kenny Guido

Staff member
Reaction score
payac said:
The Question Is What Kind Of Parent Would Leave Their Child With Wacky Jackie?

lol......her neighors call her that, not the parents (at least I dont think they do!)

but if they knew what kind of conditions their kids were in, they would pull them out asap. also, she piles the kids up in her truck, with no seat belts on and speeds up and down the block all the time.

but babysitters are hard to come by, especially at the prices she charges. she easily makes over $1500 a week.