Ktu Vs. The Original Hot 97*frankie Blue Needs 2 See This *

Elear

Reaction score
Is That Even A Good Thing? Come On....No Contest...Remember Those A&S Plaza 97 Dollar Gift Certificate U Got When U Called BALTAZZAAR At A Certain Time? Remember The Contests? Remember The " LIVE FROM JUBILATIONS IN YONKERS.....THE ORIGINAL SATURDAY NIGHT DANCE PART....O OO O OOONLY ON HOT HOT HOT 97 "People Use To Get Excited And Yell Out PUT HOT 97 ON!!! Use 2 Beep Eachother With The Code 97...People Use 2 Run Home 2 Hear The Music.Etc Etc Etc...Im About 2 Shed A Tear Man. That Was A Station Thats How KTU Should RUN......HOT 97 Was # 1 BECAUSE OF THE FANS...KTU MAY BE # 1 NOW But Its Only Because People Leave Thier Radio's On...In Salon's,Pizza Places, Basically Any Buisness Place. You Go Into People's Cars? Its Straight Tapes And Cd's...A Change Has 2 Come....And FRANKIE BLUE NEEDS 2 READ THIS!!!

Elear

Reaction score
HOT 103 Was HOT 97 Just Converted In 88...Also...What Song?

mannyriv

Recording / Performing Artist
Reaction score
It's good to reminisce about those radio stations that gave us such good memories, the kind that stick with us and are hard to let go. But I don't think you can compare KTU to HOT103 or HOT 97. KTU is good but for some reason people keep blaming Frankie Blue and KTU for the downfall of freestyle. Lets face it freestlye killed itself. Vocal and music productions became so cheesy that no one wanted to listen to it anymore. And besides, KTU wasn't around at the time when all this was happening, so how can they be held accountable for what happened to freestyle. I think they are making an effort at least with Judy Torres and by promting freestyle concerts every now and then. It is up to us the fans to keep buggin them if we want this to come back. Either that, or start a station that will play more freetyle to see how it will do. We need to stop pointing fingers and come up with solutions.

MARKLUVZCYNTHIA

Reaction score
old school hot97!!!

i gotta agree wit u @Elear. KTU is kool n everything, but nothin will ever compare to hot97 back n tha day! hot97 is tha reason how i know about freestyle. both my older brother and sister used to blast hot97! which is how im familiar wit songs like "thief of heart" and "let the music play" (which i remember hearing countless times)! when these songs came out, i was only like 6 or 7, but i still remember. there is still no station like it (used to be). and thats a shame!

Freestygal

Reaction score
Since last week, I have been listening to tapes of the Hot 103 Saturday Night Dance Party and they were really awesome. I really miss those days!! And for those of you that remember B91, I have some tapes from there too and they played a lot of great freestyle. Nothing could replace those days when freestyle was really alive and kicking!

Randi (FreestyleGal)

F

Fernando

Good Points

Victor_S,

You make a strong argument.

Here is a portion of what Victor is referring to:

...Playing Rockell, Collage, and new artist Caprice and promoting their songs as Freestyle will not cut it, according to Latinos.

KTU fails to understand that Freestyle was successful because of Latinos. It was Latinos that were coming out of the woodwork from small record labels, promoting their songs in the clubs, and collaborating with Hot103/97 they were well know superstars in the music world. Whitney Houston, Shania Twain, and back from the dead, Cher and Donna Summer are NOT Dance artists. When Hot 97 did this with Paula Abdul, Bobby Brown, and Hammer, I didn't hear any of their songs played in the clubs. I doubt the songs KTU pumps up today don't get played in clubs, either. Promoting Latino artists with a Dance music mentality will do wonders for WKTU. As an example, Veronica came up with a Hip-Hop song "Rise" that nobody paid attention to. Her second track "Release Me" was remixed into a Dance/Freestyle format and she is one of the most popular Dance artists in New York. It always seems to work that way. Whites have their Top 40 and Heavy Metal. Blacks have their R&B and Hip-Hop. Why can't English speaking Latinos have a station or music genre of their own. I felt so proud that Latinos had a strong musical voice in the 80's. Freestyle was that voice and with the right push can be the main voice again. Without that voice, Freestyle will fall into the abyss of a crowded and corruptive music world...

The full article can be found at:
http://www.clubfreestyle.com/onstage/history_of_freestyle/freestyle-dance-music.htm

- Fernando Benitez from San Diego, CA -

Kenny Guido

Staff member
Reaction score
for some reason, i never listened to the original KTU, perhaps i was too youg, but the first station i did manage to listen to was Z100, when i was 12, way back in 83. they only played shannon's "let the music play" and "give me tonight", among thier top 40.

James Anthony

Reaction score
I dont think its fair to call Frankie Blue "responsible" for the "downfall" of freestyle, per se, mainly because freestyle was dead years before KTU came around. I will give him credit, like Johnny Budz always says, for at least giving us freestyle fans something by devoting countless mixshow hours and a sunday night show to freestyle alone. Johnny is right when he says you won't hear this much freestyle on any other radio station in the US. Of course, 75% of these "countless hours" is devoted to playing "Spring Love" and "Dreamboy/Dreamgirl", but ya know what, thats what many people want to hear. It would be nice if Saturday night's mix could be devoted to the more underground or newer tracks (maybe in the future, Johnny?!). However, what I will hold Frankie Blue responsible for is his hackneyed view of what "dance music" really is. Does the average "dance music" fan really want to hear Amber "Sexual" three times a day a good two years after it was released and played to death!? Of course, many will argue "Why does KTU play Britney and Nsync"? The answer is that they have to. Without Britney and Destiny's Child and N'Sync, KTU would lose millions of listeners. Remember, KTU isn't targeting freestyle fans, or house music fanatics...they have to make the station palatable for everyone, including the middle aged housewifes out in Central Jersey. Check KTU's playlist out, you'll notice in an average month, very few new dance songs are added, but about 20 R&B songs are added. I hate the fact that KTU goes out of their way to put hip-hop into their playlist. They make such a big deal, for example, of being "first" with the new Usher track, yet it takes over a year for songs like "Castles In The Sky", "Sandstorm" and "I'll Fly With You" to get on the radio!! Those songs are a year old!! And even dance songs that they do play while they are still popular elsewhere, they never fail to f*ck the song up by playing some retarded mid-tempo watered down version (check out Tamia "Stranger In My House"). Even Z100 plays the true "dance" version (Thunderpuss Rmx) while KTU plays the mid-tempo lame Mike Rizzo version, which doesnt even appear in any of the song's remix packages. Leave it to KTU to mess it up......

AnthonyA1971

Reaction score
Yeah..Hot 103 was special, as were the times. I remember I would set my stereo to record the Saturday Night Dance Party at 10:00 pm before I went out cruisin with my boys. It's as if I KNEW to tape as much as possible..and thank God I did. Those tapes are just priceless. When you hear the mixes, there is a certain feeling you get that can't be duplicated. The tapes just capture the soul of the times. And of course the ORIGINAL 92 KTU where the Latin Rascals got started (publicly)...that was great too...oh well....al we can do is keep pumping it up!!

ER THE FS CHILD

Reaction score
I REMEMBER AS A LITTLE CHILD HEARING FREESTYLE HITS "SILENT MORNING" & "BAD OF THE HEART" FOR THE FIRST TIME ON HOT 97 (OLD SCHOOL). MEMORIES O' MEMORIES...

I AGREE WITH THOSE WHO FEEL THAT FRANKIE BLUE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DOWNFALL OF FREESTYLE. HOW MANY OTHER STATIONS DEDICATE AIRPLAY TO FREESTYLE?

chao$

Reaction score
I would have to say Hot97 . When I was like 4 or 5 My mother use to always blast Hot97 especially on the Saturday Night Dance Parties. Hot 97 was all you heard everwhere basically. That's how I got into freestyle.:D

quadosh

Reaction score
My favorite time had to be right before hot 97 went through "the change." They started to add hip hop and r&b songs to their playlist but still played freestyle and a nice amount of house music. Variety is the spice of life :D Now Im glad at elast KTU gives freestyle the little exposure it does but hey, its not frankie blues fault that there is barely any good new stuff coming out.But i think he does overlook so much talent that is out there, for example, hes not playing the new fragma song or the darude song"i can feel the beat," songs that are doing great elsewhere, besides a few freestyle songs that u know people would ahve loved. But if you want change then youve got to amke some noise thats why ive been emailing and calling the station becasue after all its us the listeners that should be deciding the playlist.

P.S. Thank GOd for artistik.

J

Johnny Budz

Elear, I'm just like you guys. I loved the old Hot97/103. I used to set my stereo up to have it start recording at 10:00 on Saturday nights also. Just like 16, 17,18, 19 year olds are doing now with KTU on Saturday nights to record DJ Scribble, Morales, Denny Tssetos, Thunderpuss, Hex Hextor, etc. 10 years from now those 18 year olds will be talking about KTU the way we talk about the old Hot 103.

But you can't compare Hot 97/103 to KTU. Freestyle fans like you are going to worship the old 103/97 forever. It was our time in the spotlight. It was the music that was in at the time. But you know what, its 12 years later. There is no freestyle out that is worthy of being on commercial radio playlists. I play new freestyle every Sunday night on KTU in my mixshow. Most of it never gets a buzz. Nobody calls asking who sings it. Actually, we get more calls from people bitching to play freestyle music they know. But I still play the newer stuff, hoping it'll help freestyle in some way. Once again, I will ask the question that I never get an answer to...."WHAT NEW FREESTYLE SONG WOULD YOU LIKE KTU TO PLAY ??". If freestyle fans themselves are requesting the old stuff on Sunday night, whats KTU to do ?!? Elear you mentioned to me once that you're a freestyle artist. If thats the case, why don't you come out with a freestyle smash hit yourself and end this whole controversy ????

I get my friends/relatives calling me up quite frequently asking "whats this song KTU is playing right now?". You mentioned the " Hot 97 Saturday night dance party"....but KTU mixes for 9 hours on Saturday night..the old 103/97 mixed for 4 hours. KTU mixes for 5 hours on Friday nights and offer 'mix it up weekends" on holiday weekends where they mix the majority of the weekend.

Don't blame KTU for the demise of freestyle. Most freestyle fans constantly blame radio for the death of freestyle. Nobody should be killing ktu for their support of freestyle. Last time I checked, the average KTU listener wants to hear "Spring love" by Stevie B instead of "Missing your love" by LAW.

Victor your article was very informative, although I don't agree with it entirely. You make it sound as if in 1996 there were tons of freestyle artists/songs banging down KTU's door with radio quality music. I was there in 1996. I've been with KTU since it started. There was no freestyle in 96. Nothing like there was in 1989. There was no demand for freestyle in 1996. So don't kill them for playing the Collage song that was a few years ago. Because it never got airplay when it was out, and in 96, was still the most successful freestyle song at the time.

Accoring to your article, you say "Adding Rockell, Collage and Caprice will not cut it for Latino's." What does that actually mean ??? Now your upset that KTU was ACTUALLY playing freestyle but they weren't Latino's artists !?!??!?!?!?! You also make it sound that KTU doesn't support Latino artists. Well, KTU introduced the radio world to Marc Anthony. They helped make him the superstar he is today. Sure other radio stations played him, but they didn't push him the way KTU did. I'm sure Marc won't disagree with me either if you asked him. Last time I checked he's Latino

James, it looks like you're starting to understand radio a litle more ! YA !!! LOL :D . In regards to "Castles in the sky", "sandstorm" and Gigi"......the only one I'll agree with you is the Gigi song. I was pushing that song to ktu for about 8 months. The 2 other songs were imports last year and only became domestic the later part of last year, not too long ktu added them. Also, the Rizzo remix of Tamia is much more radio friendly than the Thunderpuss remix. The hook on Thunderpuss can get very tiring if played on radio 50 times a week. Sure its by far my favorite remix of the song, but its a club remix. I'm sure you have valid points for ktu's programming that i may not disagree with. Do you give them credit for adding a club song like Digital Allies ?? Its obvioulsy not a true radio song and I guarantee you KTU gets calls from people complaining about the song. Also, the only hiphop songs KTU plays are the ones that crossed over to national hits. They HAVE to play Nelly and Missy. They are HUGE national smash hits.

The biggest problem with Freestyle is that we have these discussions once every few months. Blaming radio, record labels. Cursing club dj's because they don't play freestyle in clubs no more. Asking each other why its not like it was back in 1989 no more. The biggest knock on freestyle and its fans is that freestyle fans are stuck in 1988. Well, its 2001. Its not gonna be like it was in 1988. Radio isn't gonna sound like it did in 1988. Those were the best times of my life also. I have the same memories you all have, and probably more.

Threads like this just bury freestyle even more. New Freestyle is now considered underground music. I get all the new freestyle. Although 'SOME' of it is quality music, the majority of it isn't gonna put freestyle back on the map. Instead of blaming radio, dj's , labels, etc, start concentrating on getting a QUALITY PRODUCT first. Then once we have that in our back pocket, then we can attack radio, labels, etc with artiliary. Until then, we just sound like people that can't let go of 1988. We sound the same way the people that call Joe Causi's disco show on Sunday nights on ktu sound like. People who can't get let go of the disco years of 1978. Its great reminiscing about how it was in 88, but we can't demand it to still be like it was back then, because it won't.

DJ Dez

Reaction score
South Philly - where freestyle USED to rule ...
To reiterate on some of Johnny's points .. and others as well ... this will be a LONG post ...

What you people NEED to realize is not only that it's no longer 1988/89 .. and that radio has changed DRASTICALLY since that time. It's TRULY all about the almighty $Dollar$ and the Bottom Line in today's day and age ... much more than it used to be.

Damn, even I used to try to get Hot97 in, growing up in PHILLY -- way back when -- and I even GOT it sometimes, except when Boss 97 used to interfere. But it didn't matter, because at THAT time, a LOT of stations were playing freestyle/club music -- it was a sign of the times -- AND, more importantly, back then -- IT WAS ACCEPTED.

What people NEED to realize about RADIO is that today, it is more CORPORATELY owned. There ARE no true 'Hometown' radio stations to speak of. Almost ALL the radio stations in major markets (NY, Philly, LA) are owned by 1 or 2 companies -- Clear Channel being the biggest -- who do you think owns KTU, Z100, Q102 in Philly, etc ??? ... -- CLEAR CHANNEL .. and what do they care about ?? MAKING MONEY ... What else ? Not much ... Radio stations all follow a SOMEWHAT similar format ALL around the country -- with the exception of a few stations here and there -- WHICH are normally in SMALL markets -- SO, they can get away with maybe 'straying from the norm' and playing some 'riskier' music -- i.e. Current club/dance (TRUE club music) and even freestyle (well, at least old school). They're able to take chances -- partly because they don't have to worry about their image, OR they're just an OLD SCHOOL station. Same with College/Internet stations .. THAT'S WHY THEY EXIST. Commerical radio is bascially a cookie cutter format used around the country in different cities. The days of finding a UNIQUE station in a particular city are just about unheard of today, except for a few stations.

Flash back to 1988/89 ... you had stations ALL OVER the place playing freestyle (back then, Club music) .. WHY ??? Many stations were still independently owned -- OR, the companies that DID own them weren't the MONOPOLIES that they are today. Plus, you had more INDEPENDENT stations that weren't commercial - i.e., 91.7FM in Philadelphia -- probably the BEST dance station ever to grace the airwaves in Philly. Some of the commerical stations wanted to pick up on this. When Q102 came aboard in 1989, they were owned by EZ Communications -- not a real BIG player in the radio biz .. but -- there were MANY owners of stations back then. Q took chances .. they LISTENED to the community -- they played dance/club/freestyle .. you were able to DO that back then ... The program director actually PROGRAMMED the station. She PLAYED songs from Hometown Groups -- just about EVERYTHING was accepted back then. Radio TOOK chances -- and the club music chance PAID OFF for a while. Lots of great club/freestyle music received airplay ALL around the country. But ... Just LOOK at some of the pure CHEESE that made it to radio back then ... would you EVER hear that today ?? NO WAY -- but back then, radio station owners actually TOOK chances and LET stations form their own identities. You had Q102 in Philly, Hot103/Hot97 in NY, Power96 in Miami, B96 in Chicago, Power106 in LA -- and many others who jumped on the club music bandwagon and played just about WHATEVER they wanted --

Remember though, with the downfall of Freestyle, the TERM became TABOO with radio stations, THAT's why it all but disappeared. I have to disagree with the fact that NO quality product was made after that, because it was -- BUT, it was given no recognition, because the CHEESE finally outweighed the QUALITY product, therefore, pushing it completely out of the limelight. Unfortunately, some good stuff DID suffer, as it never saw that light of radio airplay. THAT'S why, people still request the more WELL known old school stuff, because it's ALL they remember ... it's the only stuff that got airplay at the time -- even WITH all the cheese that was played 'back then' --

Today, almost ALL independent stations are gone. Q102 went from EZ Communications, to Evergreen Media, to something else, to AMFM Inc, to eventually Clear Channel -- who is the largest conglomerate radio group in the COUNTRY -- it's called MERGERS, BUYOUTS and CONSOLIDATION. This has RUINED the radio industry. I can say that some GOOD stations still exist. Big City (one of the big corporate owners) has taken a chance with Energy 92 in Chicago -- they are a STRAIGHT up Dance station -- and they are doing quite well, playing great music. Power96 plays too much hip-hop, but they're still good. About the only other GOOD stations are Party 95.3 in Orlando, and 'The Buzz' in Atlantic City.

You don't think Frankie Blue's hands are tied or any PD at a major station for that matter??? There is no FREEDOM left in radio anymore. You simply answer to the 'higher-up's ... and do what you're told -- unless of course, you have the opportunity to work at an independent station (good luck finding one) ... and if you do, you're making peanuts. I had always wanted to work in radio, but realizing what you'd make -- BEING TOLD WHAT TO DO -- it's NOT worth it.

As I stated before -- commerical radio is an EVIL EMPIRE. In today's world, the listener means NOTHING. It's ALL about the $$$.

Sorry for the LONG rant -- but unfortunately, this is how things are in 2001.

Elear

Reaction score
<>===Don't Know What 2 Say.....Alot Of Valid Points were Made...Nothing I Can't Go Against.
Johnny...The Stuff I Would Like 2 Hear Personally Thats A Definitive For " NEW SKOOL " Are Songs From The TAZMANIA LABEL......Also Willie's Older Stufff...Not Just Synthia. I Heard U Throwing In Poze's New Song And So Forth...Slammin Songs....Sh*t Like That. Ur Askin For My Song....lmao...I Have 1 Already But It's Not Something That Represents Me Well...In Due Time My Man...You KTU People Will See Whats Takin So Long :D
Also...The Song By Like " A BROKEN HEART " By: Latin Tech....Basically The New Freestyle With The Freestyle Beats......From Around 95-98 ...Just 2 Show That There Are Real New Skool Freestyle Songs Out there And Not The Jump Up And Down And Feel Fruity Music.