I just want to vent

djsun1ny

Reaction score
Kids are being brought into a Rap/Hip hop culture that has clothing, movies, music videos, the fashion world all tied in. Its hard for me to explain but maybe this will get it across. Last night I was coming upstairs when our little imp of a neighbor "Jimmy" 8yrs old all american apple pie boy, was playing with his friend I thought he was playing war with his Army men so I commented on his positioning. Well he said (as he was changing the CD on his mini box to LL's Goat") We're playing "Homies" I said "HOMIES" how do you play that? Well mikee he's the Crips and I'm the bloods and we gotta protect our tuff and have wars. I chuckled and left. But at the same time saying "Huh?". Now I'm not saying that hip hop is teaching kids to be hardcore. Proper parenting needs to take care of the "Dark Side" Thats not my point. This is unless when he's older a girl changes his ways... Freestyle music will probably never reach this kid's prefered playlist. Even Popular Pop groups like NYSNC are employing hip hop to maintain Radio play and to try and remove thier groups music as being labled Gay. Unless a Rap Artist gets involved in crossover they wont get radio play. Another example Gwen and No Doubt originally a hard Ska band evolved into? Now did she utilize hip hop or did hip hop utilize them? To get respect will Freestyle artists have to do vidoes with a remix version and a "freestyle" Rapper in it to get played on the radios soon? Will Ja rule record with Cynthia? Will TKA hook up with WU Tang? I'm being silly but HMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm.

MIDNIGHTeternal

Reaction score
" I'm being silly but HMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm. "

yea, you are being silly.... i'm in no way trying to defend the HipHop industry... which is just as foul as the Pop industry.... but thats pretty daring of you to correlate Gang warfare to HipHop. ...i mean, come on, we're out of the days of GangstaRap, and all the crews throwing up signs.... those kids didn't learn about gangs through music, they learned bout it through real life!.... hiphop doesn't glorify gang life any more than the mob movies glorify murderous mafians.... so its not hiphop music to blame, its our society in general.... and about NoDoubt.. they went Pop, which these days isn't much different from HipHop (Black Pop)... don't you remember Aerosmith and Run-DMC's song togther. ...both hiphop/pop have the same setup of a commercial, big-company owned industry..... thats the main reason we all love freestyle... because its about the music... i'm just trying to say, don't focus your anger only to HipHop, focus it to commerciality of the music industy in general.
one.luv
-midnight

cafreestyler

Reaction score
i have to agree with djsun1ny a little there. you can say what you want, but music still has a big part in shaping people's lives, and hip hop is probably the biggest. how do you explain the suburban white kids acting all gangsta? it's the music they hear and the tv they see that play a big role in that.

djsun1ny

Reaction score
What I am saying is is that Rap and hip hop is the Main product available. When Rock was on top yes your right Run DMC crossed over to get to a larger genre. Well now all the genres are crossing over to Rap. I am mad at the Music Industry exectutives who sees only the quick buck and how they're failing to push and support the other genres of music. There are people going overseas to come back here once they've made a name elsewhere.. Remember the saying if you can make it in NY you can make it anywhere. What I am upset about is that the medium for freestyle is very minimal. And there are kids who arent going to hear it because suits in the industry say everything thats cool and that sells is hip hop oriented! I do enjoy hip hop but I dont believe in the grip it has on the industry. And the stations play what the suits want. And now with another station going the way of hip hop format in NY its getting harder to find a station that is willing to include freestyle new or old in a format. In my house it was only latin music growing up If I never left my house then that would still be theonly music I'd know. It was my friends and thier radios on KTU and tapes that brought freestyle to my ears to listen. The choices are limited today and I want a station that would hype freestyle and Dance music in general as much as they hype hip hop. So that kids have a a whole variety of music and can listen without being ridiculed for thier choice.

Naturalstyle

Reaction score
Yo, I don't think he was dissin' Hip Hop. IF I READ YOUR MESSAGE CORRECTLY. I think that he's saying that #1. Hip Hop is THE thing right now and if you want credibility, you need to have at least a little bit of a HH element in your music. and #2... That freestyle has no defined "Image". Different kinds of music see you different ideas. What does freestyle sell you?

If you were 10 years old and you saw the typical freestyle singer onstage... How bad would you want to be him/her?

Inquiring minds want to know.

MIDNIGHTeternal

Reaction score
i think we're both saying the same thing.... we might have just read each others posts without fully understanding... but in the second post, i think i get what you're saying.... which is what i'm saying... that its not JUST the HipHop industry that is at fault... its the "industry" itself.... if they main focus was Pop music like Britney and NSYNC, i'd be just as disappointed in music..... i totally agree with you, its a greedy, money focused industry that doesn't give a change to great music like Freestyle....
the post kinda came across to me as HipHop being at fault for the problems in the music industry and kids lives.... i don't think its HipHop or Rappers, i think its the execs that push it on everyone.. (which i think you were trying to say too) ...i mean, its not like these white-suburban kids know what they want... they only want what the execs and the "powers that be" tell them to want... they would be in love with grundge-rock music if the execs pushed it on them... its just theirs money in hiphop, so everyone saturated that market... a few years from now, it'll jump to something else....
(aren't we basically saying the same thing?)

Enigma

Reaction score
I agree with DjSun :)

Music can MOVE a crowd...why? Cause it can be heart felt.

"Dont turn around now...cause you're not welcome anymore!!"

You telling me alot of ladies didnt follow that advice? You think alot of ladies actually did not change their stupid door locks?

Truth is...millions of what they hear...follow.

And thus...all these pathetic crackhead rap songs you hear...has an effect on our very young audience.

~Antonio

djsun1ny

Reaction score
Exactly midnight that is my point! Because we are saying the same thing. It all comes down to an Ad agency. Some one wanting to make a commercial says OK What Sells what is it that thier parents don't like so they just have to have it cause every kid on thier block needs one or thiey'll be the odd kid out! Like toy commercials..... Ex: What the hell was Pokemon? (south Park explained this perfectly)
Every kid had to have one but you had to get them all! what a marketing ploy! I think that guy works in the music industry under the Rap division. How may albums did Jay z release last year? There are some who just keep pressing and they are 2-3 min tracks. And the Kids are buying up left and right! Gotta catch em all.

Last edited:

djsun1ny

Reaction score
You know Enigma I wish my Sis in Law did change her door locks!!!! LOL
Oh well Gloria didn't reach her:crap

Enigma

Reaction score
Originally posted by djsun1ny
You know Enigma I wish my Sis in Law did change her door locks!!!! LOL
Oh well Gloria didn't reach her:crap

HAHAHAH!! :D

~Antonio