How Were U Introduced

sweetheart

Reaction score
SONYA said:
hey guys how did u guys discover freestyle...
hearing it off friends????

i used to hear it on the radio when i was in 7th grade.....that is when it was really popular back home (s.a. t.x.) although i didn't know that that is what it was called or labeled as. i was really into stevie b and collage. about 3 years later is when i really got into it...my best friend at the time was into it....i used to make fun of him and tell him that it was hoodrat music....lol!!!!!! but then i heard that song by vla "i gave my heart to you" and i fell in love with freestyle. when i started working in the mall i would go and buy tapes and cds from this small booth that was selling them. yet freestyle died out and i couldn't find anymore freestyle music! so i take care of all the cds i got now.

EL_BORICUA_72

Reaction score
SONYA said:
hey guys how did u guys discover freestyle...
on the radio, at the clubs, hearing it off friends????

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaim 19 so ai was a kid 'back in the day' when freestyle was huge
all my older couins were into the whole freestyle scene lol and they would listen to their records and 'mix tapes' all the time and thats how i agot introduced to it...
My aunt introduced it to me thru mixed dj tapes

taina165

Reaction score
freestyle introduced itself to me being that im a boricua that was born and raised in the bronx. i listened to hot 103 then hot 97 when it was freestyle. i remember going to beat street in fordham rd to go buy my records. those were the days !

Italian_FreeStyler

Reaction score
White Boy in Rhode Island

Man.... i heard Fantasy Girl and it changed my whole view of Music. I liked Rock but the Freestyle stuff was so off the hook. It changed the way i dressed, the places i went, type of girls i liked ....it just changed me ... people start to forget about that music ... but i never will ... Freestyle 4 Life!!!

Reaction score
New Hampshire (now) The land of the 'Family Wre
It all started with a studio version of "Planet rock" my friend Ana Ruiz' uncle gave to her on tape. Then came "Let the music play", "When I hear Music", "Lookout weekend", "Superman", "Give me tonight", "Madness". and so-o-o-o many more. I happened to be lucky;I had family in Staten Island, the Bronx, New Jersey (Fair Lawn), Miami, and elsewhere, so I was always staying for a summer at one of these places. Also, at home base here in Boston, we had some great DJ's; plus I was pretty hot, and they were guys who didn't realize they were trying to scoop a 14 year old (I was always tall, 5'9" and modeling); I received tons of promos way before anyone else, and met lots of producers, who also wanted to help start my career:)

imfromqueenz

Reaction score
my friends tape of cynthia and johnny o singing "dreamboy/dreamgirl" when i was like 11.....then i was reintroduced at 13 by my then older boyfriend who was a dj.....he played willie valentin's "one true love affair" and i fell in love.....

EddyG4FSVeloClub

Reaction score
For me it first started back in when I was in gr.8 and i started to hear abit of the new freestyle on Z103.5. But it didnt take off till i hit grade 9 and my English teacher introduced me into alot of the Heartthrob stuff. Now I love all the old skool stuff. It was kinda weird having the same musical taste as your English teacher lol. but, I havent looked back since then! :dj

JPhantom

Reaction score
See I started when I was about 12. Then once I understood how the rap game works it was history. I'm now 16 tryin to do something with my life instead of running these streets.ONE LOVe J-Phantom

Adriana

Reaction score
Funny everyone was introduced to freestyle by older relatives or siblings. me too. you guys are straight as hell here you's help out a lot!!!!!!!

Adriana

Reaction score
JPhantom said:
See I started when I was about 12. Then once I understood how the rap game works it was history. I'm now 16 tryin to do something with my life instead of running these streets.ONE LOVe J-Phantom
interesting coming from a 16 yr. old... i bet yo mama is proud.... good for you don't let petty things be an obsticle for you in life. it's just to short..... :)....

Adriana

Reaction score
daaaaaammmmmnnn that is so tru..... i remember the way i reacted to freestyle too.... good stuff......god imagine what life would be without freestyle. it just gives meaning to our feelings, and moods....just tha' way it puts an impact on people. i'm new to this web site but let me tell you it's so interesting how people live for this music... i do to though.. freestyle for ever....!!!!!!

Italian_FreeStyler said:
Man.... i heard Fantasy Girl and it changed my whole view of Music. I liked Rock but the Freestyle stuff was so off the hook. It changed the way i dressed, the places i went, type of girls i liked ....it just changed me ... people start to forget about that music ... but i never will ... Freestyle 4 Life!!!

Djskywalker

Reaction score
Back in the days when I was childhood when me and my friends started to breakdance using freestyle music "Spanish Fly, Johnny O, Angelina, Lil Suzy and Jossette, I love it! And from then on Freestyle is always my number 1 dance music. "2 Thumbs up"

Reaction score
Boogie Down Bronx, where Freestyle still lives
taina165 said:
freestyle introduced itself to me being that im a boricua that was born and raised in the bronx. i listened to hot 103 then hot 97 when it was freestyle. i remember going to beat street in fordham rd to go buy my records. those were the days !
Oh man! that's where I used to buy my records too. Then they had Music factory a couple of blocks down.

frankiesgirl

Reaction score
My taste is music is pretty obscure, but freestyle
Freestygal said:
I got introduced to freestyle through my sister Lori. She was in high school at the time and freestyle was really big (1987,88). In fact, they used to hand out club ads outside the school and she would collect all of them and put them on her walls...lol She also used to buy all the 12'' records and listen to B91. She used to make tapes for me and I remember borrowing her TKA cassette singles and listening to them with my friends. I was always a music lover so it wasnt hard to become a freestyle lover. The funny thing is that my sister doesnt listen to it anymore, yet I am a die-hard fan!

Randi (FreestyleGal)
hi--i see we live in the same area, your sister must be my age...does she remember going to the bay club in 87-88?

crazygirl

Reaction score
i can't believe i never saw this.
well i was young and my older cousin took me to a festival in Paterson
and lil suzy and nasty boyzz were there
i remember nasty boyzz did there thing and at the end pulled their paint down showing there bear ass cuz they has a thong
:lol
someting that stayed with me till this day..
i remember hear freestyle all the time my brother would play it.
that thats what really drew me in

NVDisMa729

Reaction score
First time i heard freestyle I was going thru my NKOTB stage & they came out with a remix album that had like 2 freestyle songs on it...Those 2 were my fave & i heard them call it freestyle. I had no clue what freestyle meant thou...Then one day I was on Fordham rd in the bronx & on Hot 97...TKA - Give Your Love To Me came on. It became my favorite song & I had to have it so I listened to the radio til I heard it again ..found out it was TKA. My father had a few freestyle 12 inch records so I listened to those & i ended up liking freestyle...been a fan ever since