Freestyle Music... My roots! Thanks for this site!

deephouse

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum... so if i'm posting this in the wrong area, Mods please feel free to move it to the correct thread.

Aftering going to the 92.5 Freestyle concert last night, i somehow feel compelled to tell everyone of my roots as a DJ.

I'm from San Diego and spun freestyle back in the days (or at least what i consider "back in the days"). I started when i was about 13 years old around 1989. My exposure to Freestyle was limited to what i heard on the radio and from other fellow djs. And it was by no means as underground as what you probably all experienced on the East Coast. What I mean is San Diego, not being the best city for musical diversity, was always last to get good music. It still is.

Being 13 and an aspiring dj wasn't easy. "Aspiring" might be too strong of a word. Because back then it was more of a fad, or "cool" thing to do....but that doesn't mean i didn't love the music! I didn't work, so most of my weekly allowance was saved up to go shopping @ places like Tower Records, Warehouse, and Lou's. I remember yearly trips to the Bay Area to visit family and discovering how Freestyle was MUCH MORE popular. I remember visiting cousins in Daily City and paying 25 cents to take the bus to Stonestown to buy vinyl @ Tower Records (which had a better selection than the SD Tower!). Or walking down to Serramonte and checkin out the selection @ Rainbow Records. I remember this mail order music club called Columbia House and signing up for a membership just so i could get 15 FREE LPs if you purchased like 7 @ REgular Price over 2 years. I remember signing my younger brother and sister just so i could get more vinyl shipped to me under a different name! Once a vinyl whore. Always a vinyl whore. =) From that perspective i was into the more "commercial" side of Freestyle, but it was all I knew existed back then.

I believe I was 15 when i stopped buying records. And that's probably the one thing in life i regret doing most. I turned 21 and started going clubbin. It didn't take me long to stop going out because i simply wasn't into any of the music in the clubs. Or perhaps I didn't do enough club hopping =) When I was 23 I went to my first RAVE. Yes, a late bloomer I was. But after watching several djs perform it was then I decided to get back into DJing.

I was into the harder house stuff at first... but quickly found a liking for deep soulful house. Probably because music with lyrics remind me so much of when I used to spin Freestyle when i was younger.

I can't tell you how excited I am to discover this website and learn more about the music and culture that I left behind 15 years ago. I tell you, walking into that concert last night was like a blast from the past: Connie, Expose, Nice N Wild (Diamond Girl), Nucleus, Sugar Hill Gang, Stevie B, and the Cover Girls!

I recently dug up a mix tape from circa 1991 that i'm trying to mastered and get posted online in MP3 format. It's nothing special, I think i was 14 when i mixed it... but listening to it brought back so many memories, and I'm looking forward to sharing it with those that would appreciate a good ole' mix tape =)

Yeah.. its 30 minutes long =)

Enigma

Reaction score
Hey deephouse how you doing? :D Welcome to Clubfreestyle it's a great site isnt it? :D Very informative lots of good information over here. :)

Great stories btw! :cheers

SuzyD

Reaction score
thanks for your bio....

WELCOME AND ENJOY your stay here:welcome