Dj James Anthony 2009 Multi-edit Megamix (94 Songs...1 Hour)

DJ James Anthony

In The Freestyle Industry
Reaction score
Hi guys-
Freestyle freaks...this is especially for you.
One hour, 94 songs, tons upon tons of multi edits.
You can either play it or download it. This isn't the same one I did a few years back- this is something I just completed recently.
http://djjamesanthony.podomatic.com/
Enjoy!
James Anthony

freestylegreek

Reaction score
I don't like mixes cause if someone can't catch my attention in the 30 seconds to 1 minute I turn off the mix and delete.

Within the few first seconds U got me and with that is an amazing mix that i will continue listening too.

Keep it up DJ James Anthony at least someone is doing the right mixes.

MIX1027FMDJ

Reaction score
I never understood the need for them since they came out in 85'.

Real DJ's NEVER used them.....

Think about it...Why would I want to hear 10 seconds of a song that I like ??

Not knocking JA, he is a good guy, however I personally never saw a use for this stuff for the reason I stated above.

IMO these type of sets are for people with ADD....but whatever floats your boat....

Last edited:

robert1995

Reaction score
James - you've done it again - what a great mix with awesome edits!!
Thanks for giving us freestyle and multi edit fans what we need to keep us going!!!
All the best, Rob - Reading,UK

Kid Heartbreak

Reaction score
I never understood the need for them since they came out in 85'.
Real DJ's NEVER used them.....
Think about it...Why would I want to hear 10 seconds of a song that I like ??
Not knocking JA, he is a good guy, however I personally never saw a use for this stuff for the reason I stated above.
IMO these type of sets are for people with ADD....but whatever floats your boat....

Never understood the need? It's an artform all it's own. Here in Chicago, we had an entire industry of just stuff like that back when peeps were still interested in real music. Up until almost a decade ago, almost every mixtape/CD that would come out in Chicago was a "multiedit megamix". That was "dj industry standard" out here. The whole point of only playing a few seconds of every song is that the dj is the artist doing what the dj as an artist is supposed to do. Anyone can just play records. Stuff like this is the real sh*t. I still remember the first one he had a couple years ago. There were "rarities" that dude had sampled or had snippets of that I had never heard before and after hearing it in his mix, I went looking for the whole song. That's another purpose to these type of things. Most of these songs are around 20 years old already so why would peeps feel the need to listen to them in their original format anyways? And if they really must, then go out and get the whole song (the way it's supposed to be). That also mitigates any potential copyright infringement issues. The "multiedit megamix" is a useful tool in promoting the music without "cock blocking" the original music from selling. It works out for everyone involved.

smoothrhythm

Reaction score
Little Louie Vega...the greatest freestyle D.J. of all time....Louie is one of a kind...mixing from reel to vinyl and vice versa...most club D.J.'s throw on pre-recorded shit making it seem like they are mixing live....;)

latin babe boi

Reaction score
I must say this mix is off the hook very old school style of mix and I love it, keep them coming. I would love to see what James would do with current Freestyle songs mixed in the old fashion multiedit. Off the chain.

MIX1027FMDJ

Reaction score
Anyone can just play records. Stuff like this is the real sh*t.

Kid you once again don't know what the f**k you are talking about...for you to say this is the reason you lose credibility.

That is the major problem with most like you...you don't even know what a real dj is.

You think editing makes you a dj..?....it doesn't ...it makes you an studio editor.

Edited works have their place, but every dj I know would never play something like this...maybe a 10 to 20 sec slice as a bridge into something else that's it.

Very few can actually dj for real today...they would lay this down and then perpetrate that they are doing it live...living the illusion....

The reason the industry is so crappy now..everyone wants the glory but doesn't want to put in the work for it.

These things have their place but remember they are created in the studio...not live where you cannot make mistakes in front of a big crowd.

Kid, you are not a real dj.....stop claiming to be one with those things you hacked together...

MIX1027FMDJ

Reaction score
Stuff like this is geared mostly for radio play anyhow..

Last edited:

francis

Reaction score
France is a desert for Freestyle music...
Before editing music, James Anthony has spinned music in club, and he still does for what I know. To me, he is a DJ.

He is remixing and editing music/songs, he is also a remixer and editor, but...he is still considered as a DJ.

For instance, DJ Tiesto have been nominated in the past as the "best DJ in the world" during years, but he is also a remixer, producer, composer, etc. But he is first and foremost a DJ.
Tell him that he is not a DJ, he will certainly laugh out loud!

I understand your point. For you, a DJ is a person who is only spinning music.
But as a DJ, he can have also mutiples labels (remixer, editor,etc.).

I don't know what is a "real" DJ" !?!
You have "bad" or "good" DJ.
But a "real" DJ doesn't have any meaning to me. What it is exactly?
Sorry, I really don't understand this point in particular!

Take care.

CEESIL

ClubFreestyle Power DJ
Reaction score
i agree with smooth, lil louie was the man, but let's not forget roman ricardo or scott blackwell, but louie was indeed playing these tracks well before them.

smoothrhythm

Reaction score
i agree with smooth, lil louie was the man, but let's not forget roman ricardo or scott blackwell, but louie was indeed playing these tracks well before them.

Whether new tracks were coming from Cutting, Mic Mac, Warlock, etc....labels made sure that Louie was pumping their shit in the clubs....I remember when Carlos Rodgers had just finished editing Safire's "Let Me Be The One".... he had the track on a reel for Louie and the rest is history...

Kid Heartbreak

Reaction score
Kid you once again don't know what the f**k you are talking about...for you to say this is the reason you lose credibility.
That is the major problem with most like you...you don't even know what a real dj is.
You think editing makes you a dj..?....it doesn't ...it makes you an studio editor.
Edited works have their place, but every dj I know would never play something like this...maybe a 10 to 20 sec slice as a bridge into something else that's it.
Very few can actually dj for real today...they would lay this down and then perpetrate that they are doing it live...living the illusion....
The reason the industry is so crappy now..everyone wants the glory but doesn't want to put in the work for it.
These things have their place but remember they are created in the studio...not live where you cannot make mistakes in front of a big crowd.
Kid, you are not a real dj.....stop claiming to be one with those things you hacked together...

Editing is an art all it's own. So is "production engineering". Mixing is the prerequisite to have before any of that stuff. You write as if djs who make multi-edited megamixes are claiming to have done it live. I don't know anyone who has ever claimed to have done the multiedits live. Is that really believable to any one who knows anything about djing? Yes, I am aware that these things are created in the studio as are also the actual songs. Everything has its own place and its own "dopeness" to it. I know exactly where you're coming from. I've seen that mentality before. A lot of it comes down to the principle of where the old doesn't want to give the new its props. You're stuck in the past. If your way is so superior, then why don't you put together one of these multiedit type mixes? The fact of the matter is that most "real djs" who still get off on rocking a crowd wouldn't be able to put together something like this. There's a lot more involved than just matching beats. And then you say "hacked together". What does that even mean? Is there any objective criteria that you used to make that conclusion? I asked you several months ago when you made a similar comment regarding one of my mix excerpts to point out specifically where the mistake was. You didn't, I didn't think you would as there was no mistake.

What you do is a totally different thing than what I do. My skill isn't centered aound rocking a crowd live, that's your skill. My skill is that more of a production engineer/remixer/studio editor. And I'm cool with that. I'm not claiming to be the best "live dj". I was unaware that there even is an audience who actually cares about that stuff anymore. Ask most of the peeps up in the club "who's the dj that's up there right now?" and they wouldn't even be able to present you with an answer. THAT'S THE 100% TRUTH. NO ONE CARES ANYMORE!!!!! For that reason, it's not worth it to even try to refine that particular skill. Peeps barely care about CDs anymore. Society is braindead, as if nothing matters anymore. THE SAME REASONS WHY NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE "ART OF THE REAL DJ" ANYMORE IS ALONG THE SAME LINES AS WHY NO NEW ARTIST CAN COME UP WITHOUT BEING SIGNED TO A BIG RECORD LABEL NOWADAYS. All these problems have very similar roots.

Just the terminology "real DJ". What does that even mean?

pow

Reaction score
Why is this Tony Rocca always hating on other djs? He is quick to knock down other djs so tell me what is his claim to fame. Im asking cause I never heard of him until I came to newyorkfreestyle.

Kid Heartbreak

Reaction score
Another thing I want to point out is how incredibly time consuming it is to put together a multiedit megamix. It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience. It's a very detail intensive operation. Out here, if someone is putting that kinda time into a megamix, they're selling that thing. Maybe that's how the entire concept of the "Chicago style mixtape" came about. It's a very large amount of hard work that goes into putting together even just a half hour. What James Anthony has put together here is even more edited than most "multiedit megamixes" I'm used to hearing. I've only listened to part of it so far, but if the rest of it is anything like the first one, he's basically multiediting the entire time! And yes, I am quite impressed as I know what it takes to put something like this together. It's like a medley of mixtape intros. As if he must have been running on batteries. Even out here in the Chi, we'll start letting the song play a little after the first ten minutes of multiedits. This was raw. I wish more djs were still mixing like this.

CPR Jose Ortiz

Reaction score
The traditional way one becomes a DJ is by mixing (blending) beats together to create a seemless transition from one song to another. You are not allowed to go "off" beat or make the blend sound like gunshots are being fired off.

We determined how great of a DJ someone is by how long you can blend the beat and transition from one song to another; Especially when the "break" comes mid song.

MIX1027FMDJ

Reaction score
Why is this Tony Rocca always hating on other djs? He is quick to knock down other djs so tell me what is his claim to fame. Im asking cause I never heard of him until I came to newyorkfreestyle.

POW...I don't "hate" on other DJ's...I just don't tolerate incorrect information. As for making edit mixes...they are ok, I am saying that they have a purpose but a true "real" dj makes his own in real time.

I never heard of you but until a few weeks ago myself...what is your claim to fame?

As for mine, read my bio and then understand who you are talking too first of all...that might help.

Cheers..

MIX1027FMDJ

Reaction score
Whether new tracks were coming from Cutting, Mic Mac, Warlock, etc....labels made sure that Louie was pumping their shit in the clubs....I remember when Carlos Rodgers had just finished editing Safire's "Let Me Be The One".... he had the track on a reel for Louie and the rest is history...

Playing reels was common place for testing new tracks back then. I have the test pressing for "let Me be the one"...and it was nothing short of stellar...we played it on our club system, the last Richard Long system in the world, and we just had upgraded to 8 double big bertha levan bass cabinets and when that track went on... WOW !!!

Last edited: