Classic Freestyle Reviews- Safire

ChuckD

The Gay Lord of Freestyle
Reaction score
Sa-Fire

Review by Ron Wynn

The debut album by the hyphenated vocalist who was physically short (assuming the photo on her album wasn't deceptive) but vocally imposing. She had range, power, and soul, and wasn't afraid to belt out a song or stretch out a lyric.

I Wasn't Born Yesterday

Review by Ron Wynn

An erratic, but arresting second album by a vocalist with little name recognition but above-average talents. Safire had done some session work in the mid-'80s before getting a shot at being a lead artist. She sang without pretension, put soul and energy into her delivery, and made mundane tracks interesting.

Bringing Back The Groove

Review by Drago Bonacich

Puerto Rican-born Wilma Cosme, known as Safire, brings a collection of her hits, new songs, and remixes to get into the contemporary club scene, starting with a new version of her first smash "Don't Break My Heart," produced by Grammy nominated Tony Moran, getting along with dance/pop singer Cynthia on Can You Stand the Rain," showing a different side of herself while performing the freestyle ballad "I'm Feeling It Too," without forgetting her 1988 hit single "Boy I've Been Told," composed by Latin star Marc Anthony. Safire's Bringing Back the Groove goes through her career, bringing back her best.