2 cents

djsun1ny

Reaction score
I've been reading alot of stuff all over the Board, and I just want to talk about an experience.

3-4 yrs ago, I got my recording equipment back together and broke out my keyboard and started working on tracks again not because I was going to get rich but because of this.

My dear friend and old/still partner got me in to get a gig with Luz Merchuca Prez of the Bronx Puerto Rican Day Parade. To explain quick, I got into an area that I haven't enjoyed for years.... The Bronx-and the music it brang. Godd what a fabulous summer and the people I met... Anyway, I helped out another DJ who was breaking in who didnt have much equipment and couldn't handle street festivals. I ended up doing several including Davidson ave. I had been doing House Music for awhile, but was told Bring Freestyle because no one is going to want to hear House. I'm glad I listened. I was given an Itinerary and was explained what I needed to do and what I needed to provide as sound reinforcement for this Make shift stranded on Gilligans Island stage. And there were plenty of Garbage bags to protect my stuff if it rained (Groaning loudly) I was also informed that I would not be getting the fee that I received at Jimmy's Bronx Cafe for the Parade Banquet that I had done. I would only get $200.00 for 2 days of work DJ'ng, Sound reinforcement for Salsa Merengue Bands as well as about 25 Freestyle acts! But I got more than a gig and a check for this. This is what I received..... I took in alot of pleasing visuals (not just guys topless) But I saw People vibing to a Latin Groove that was undescribable and FLags everywhere of course but I met 25 acts some legends, ALOT of unknowns and I was tickled with musical pleasure hearing that a new generation was feeling Freestyle! Just like it was in the beginning Ghetto style an open mike a cheesy basement track a set of lungs and a street filled with different ages and sizes feeling you cause your spitting to them a vibe that came from the same streets that they were now dancing on. I then Started meeting people I hadnt seen or heard from in years and some who I met for the first time. NElson FFWD, Chrissy I-eece, & MOre, Freddy Lopez Legit and the one who definately left an Impression Artie Rodriguez. There were tons of little dance groups with girls as young as 3 & 4 overly costumed and made up dancing Salsa and Freestyle. Now I know for a fact that at these shows no one was getting paid. If they did it was nothing becaUSE there was no money in the Parks funds allocated to the city councils office for these events. At least no real Money. I saw these Artists performing on several occasions that Summer for the same fee, for love. They all had Day jobs. But after the clock was punched the briefcase was put down and the Freestyle Cape got put on and a Big Floating F went on thier chest! Artie was this Freestyle superhero to me I mean everywhere I went every local club, Party, Fundraising function, cable access show he was there! Keeping it going, alive Loud & Proud the Music he loved Most. The music that just oozed out of him. I got to hang with him and some other artists at his house as he cut a Birthday cake for Freddy Lopez and he truly played keys and had a nice studio set up where there was tons of beautiful Freestyle unpurchasable (is that a word) in any store. It was alive in his studio and in his heart. ANd It was alive as soon as I put the needle on the record and Davidson Ave was dancing a freestyle frenzy a whole Sea of people stretching a block and half down hundreds of all ages catching every little sample and song I mixed singing it to the top of thier lungs. Yes I played a very little amount of house. Just Latin House but Mostly Freestyle and more Freestyle. There were no arguments about money but who was going to go on first and if the DJ (me) could adjust the sound to make a copy of a copy of a copy of Some acts' boy's basement recording sound a little better. He was an unkown but he deserved to sound good. And he did. It was a total lovefest of freestyle and it left such an impression on me I will remember what these artists did for me that summer. Made me remember where I came from and where the music did. As well as why it did and why we still play and enjoy it. Its in our blood and we made it our heritage. It will be my eras folklore and always remembered and practiced. It will evolve and take many forms but as all forms of culture people and music they have its roots. And Freestyle is ours. And I will always utilize what I learned that summer with a smile and a WEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!

djsun1ny

Reaction score
The Moral of the story is Freestyle can NEVER truly die as long as its in our hearts cause that is what the music was all about. Love. And alot of heart. Keep sharing it, keep spreading it, most of all keep loving it. Show your kids about it and you'll be surprised at how much they know of it already. And support it when it becomes a new breed of style.

Crystal2001

Reaction score
:D..I read EVERY single word in your story, and your right ma..I myself am only young, and Ive been with Freestyle for quite awhile now...Ive met TKA,Tybless, Nelson"FFWD" Cruz, Johnny O, Soave, Noel, Angel from the Cover Girls..and many more artists..And I shall cherish the moments Ive spent within the Freestyle Industry, within the studios, and within the clubs..Ill never forget Freestyle, and Freestyle shall never die..:)

Crystal2001

Reaction score
LOL!!! I thought u was gonna say.."umm...crystal..what the phuck u talkin bout?"..LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO..:p

djsun1ny

Reaction score
No just that "the force is strong in this one. ahh but still young and reckless. Much to learn yes much to learn!" wait who was that that just stepped on m.... "Jah Jah get out of hear you annoying creature Run from this thread before I tear your dark side up with this light saber"

Krystal

Reaction score
LOL Soul! Nice story! Sounds like it was an eye opening experience for you and I for one am glad that it took place. :yeey

J

JackG

Great post djsun1ny!

Just out of curiosity, if anyone
else has an awesome story like this & other
interesting freestyle experiences. -
please post it up. I know most of us do,
we would all love to read about it!

Crystal2001

Reaction score
Damn girl..better not be me you chasing out of this thread..LOL!!!!

Yeah guys..post up stories..I love them all..I would do the same, but I already have in the past...:D