Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Forums > American Freestyle Dance Music Discussion

Notices

American Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Forum for discussions regarding Freestyle dance music made in America

Freestyle Forum: Lets Talk

Old 09-05-2002, 06:05 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Brklyn345 is on a distinguished road
FREESTYLE NEVER REALLY MAINSTREAM?????ARE YOU KIDDING ME???Hmmm let me see....MTV is mainstream and I CLEARLY recall videos by artists such as Sweet Sensation, The Cover Girls, Corina, Coro, Lissette Melendez, George Lamond, Expose, Stevie B, Lisa Lisa....I do see your point about keeping it underground....but only until freestyle is re-tooled somewhat....and THEN unleash it again

Old 09-05-2002, 07:40 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Taz X.T.R.
Quote:
Originally posted by FrEEjacK00
I totally agree with Smooth... Hip Hop is in a class by itself , I dislike it so much I wouldn't want it to help Freestyle in anyway shape or form.In addition not only is the new stuff not creative enough but far from what Freestyle (Old or New.. Freestyle is still defined by a "style" so don't forget it) really is.At this point I feel only those who pioneered it can help.Don't spend too much time disagreeing with me cause "Life's too short" :blah to all who oppose!

I think you need to watch more Rap City,lol. Some of the "new stuff" is creative. Look at the way Timbaland used "hindi/india" beats succesfully. Dr. Dre's "Addicted" also mixed this well. It's the willingness to take new sounds and incorporate it into their new tracks that keep this genre fresh. New Freestyle really doesn't take these risks because they want to stay "true" to the Freestyle element. They haven't pushed the envelope far enough to try new sounds and still keep some of that element, thus keeping it Freestyle. Lack of creativity, lack of desire, lack of knowledge, who knows? I have yet to hear anything that can say, "Damn, this is daring". But then again, fans are to blame because they would probably hate on them for doing that. EVERYONE has to be willing to go the same route forward into unchartered waters in order for this music to be accepted like it was once before. Not back step to recycle old stuff.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:49 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Taz X.T.R.
Quote:
Originally posted by DannyDFreestyle

I have to disagree smoothrhythm. I don't think old school or new school freestyle singers have great voices. If they did they would have gone on to bigger and better things in the Pop, R&B, or other genre of music world. I think freestyle is just that...freestyle. You don't have to have a great voice to make it in this genre of music 'cause most everyone is just listenting to the beat and music itself because it's music to make you dance. Plus freestyle doesn't take expensive equipment to create and allows most anyone to get into making this style of music and that's how it should stay. Instead of worrying about trying to make freestyle mainstream we should first worry about trying to get people to classify freestyle as it's own genre or sub-genre in dance music. I always see techno, house, electronica, experimental etc. classified under dance but I never see freestyle. Freestyle will never be mainstream and never really was. Just keep it underground and support it and just try to make it more popular so we may hear it occasionally on satellite radio or sat. tv under "dance music".

I think you need to explore the past more. Freestyle was in the mainstream, remeber HOT 97 in New York City supported Freestyle for a very long time. Many artists got a taste of the mainstream. As far as the voices, Sam Savon, Safire, Judy Torres, Lisa Lisa and George Lamond have great pipes. One's desire to do what they love and not expand should not bring about doubts on their actual vocal ability. They could expand into R&B, Salsa, Rock, POP, etc because of their singing ability. Yes, not EVERY Freestyle artist has astounding vocal presence, but that goes for the mainstream as well. Bob Dylan was never known to belt out notes as well as Sting. Hell, ASHANTI has no vocal presence. You see where I am going here? As far as the underground, well any artist that is suffice with staying underground just lacks drive. Go for it all or don't go at all, that's my attitude.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:50 AM

Kenny Guido is on a distinguished road
I definetly agree with you on that, Taz. i think alot of artists and producers want avoid trying new things because frankly, alot of the artists have tried and either were ridiculed by thier once faithful fans or the industry totally shunned them away by just smacking that "label" on them!
Old 09-05-2002, 07:53 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Taz X.T.R.
Quote:
Originally posted by TyBless
Debate Debate...
Acceptance is key. As long as the core fans won't let go. The more freestyle will become something a rapper does off the top of his head. Something has to give people.
So true, so true indeed.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:55 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Taz X.T.R.
Quote:
Originally posted by KENNY GUIDO
I definetly agree with you on that, Taz. i think alot of artists and producers want avoid trying new things because frankly, alot of the artists have tried and either were ridiculed by thier once faithful fans or the industry totally shunned them away by just smacking that "label" on them!
Which is why they need Hip Hop artists working with them.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:45 AM
CF Member

DannyDFreestyle
Quote:
Originally posted by smoothrhythm
Hey Danny, if old school freestyle artists don't have great voices why is Marc Anthony multi platinum then. Make sure you research before you make a statement like that. I don't think Naya, Cynthia, George Lamond, T.K.A., etc. and a host of others that can sing would appreciate that. They all have come a long way.
Marc Anthony might be a musical powerhouse in your area and in Puerto Rico but that mofo' ain't nobody down here. Sorry. And as far as the artists you mentioned, I'm sure many producers and A&R people have checked them out before and have decided they are not good enough. Nobody is gonna let a great voice get away.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:53 AM
CF Member

DannyDFreestyle
Quote:
Originally posted by Brklyn345
FREESTYLE NEVER REALLY MAINSTREAM?????ARE YOU KIDDING ME???Hmmm let me see....MTV is mainstream and I CLEARLY recall videos by artists such as Sweet Sensation, The Cover Girls, Corina, Coro, Lissette Melendez, George Lamond, Expose, Stevie B, Lisa Lisa....I do see your point about keeping it underground....but only until freestyle is re-tooled somewhat....and THEN unleash it again
Just because a handfull of freestyle artists came out on mtv and were heard on the radio for probably less than 5 years doesn't constitute mainstream. Did they have special shows just playing freestyle videos like they do rap? You must also realize their music was more like the pop music of that era but with a little bit of Latin flava to it. Mainstream artists are never forgotten. How often do you see freestyle now when they show old videos? How often do you hear freestyle on the radio stations that play '80's music?
Old 09-05-2002, 09:02 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

smoothrhythm is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Naya, please educate this young kid !!!!

Danny, if you put Marc Anthony in Texas stadium he would sellout all the seats. If you think that Marc Anthony is just hot over here and in Puerto Rico you need to get a copy of Billboard and do some extensive reading. Your ass is in Oak Cliff Texas. What's the population there 100 people. I've been around freestyle probably longer than you've been born. To say that most old school freestyle artists can't sing is insane. I'll let Naya handle you from here on in. Naya, please educate this young kid please.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:04 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Taz X.T.R.
Quote:

Marc Anthony might be a musical powerhouse in your area and in Puerto Rico but that mofo' ain't nobody down here. Sorry. And as far as the artists you mentioned, I'm sure many producers and A&R people have checked them out before and have decided they are not good enough. Nobody is gonna let a great voice get away.
I beg to differ.I have seen many artists shelfed by A&R's because they lack the total package. You need much more than vocal presence to be signed by a label. You can be signed and not even worked on because they don't know what to do with you. Best example: Mary J Blige. She was signed to Uptown and Andre Harrell, the then CEO didn't have a clue on what to do with her. It took a young intern turned executive named Sean "Puffy" Combs to create her sound and develop her. She was good, but the label just didn't have the right creative idead for her. Same with Freestyle artists, many are good. But the challenge of crossing them over is something labels may not have answers for because they don't know them well enough por their brand of music to decide "ok, whats next?"
Old 09-05-2002, 09:14 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Taz X.T.R.
Quote:

Just because a handfull of freestyle artists came out on mtv and were heard on the radio for probably less than 5 years doesn't constitute mainstream. Did they have special shows just playing freestyle videos like they do rap? You must also realize their music was more like the pop music of that era but with a little bit of Latin flava to it. Mainstream artists are never forgotten. How often do you see freestyle now when they show old videos? How often do you hear freestyle on the radio stations that play '80's music?
MTV and Radio Play does constitute Mainstream. It's not time, it's where the music played. Plenty of 80's HAIR BANDS for example rode the mainstream. They don't get special attention unless you go to CALI. But if you asked someone about a band, they would know. Freestyle is no different. Ask Fat Joe, he'll say he knew. Ask J-LO, which I did once at a function. She used to dance to it back in the Bronx. Believe me, Freestyle has left it's mark on music.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:16 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Cool

Taz, my boy doesn't have a clue. Just look where his ass lives. Nuff said. Holla !!!
Old 09-05-2002, 10:23 AM
CF Member

Mike 4te
For people to say that Freestyle is freestyle and it shouldn't change doesn' tmake sense to me. Freestyle has to evolve. All music evolves. Hip hop from the early 90's has evolved trmendously since then. Disco has evolved in to house and progressive. Even from the time freestyle started till iaround 1992 it had already evolved.How lame would it be if there was a clubdisco.com with people saying that disco shouldn't change and should keep the old school sound forever or its not freestyle. I think we should consider the classics of Freestyle classics. I've always thought about a collaboration with Freestyle and hip hop. Especially what Sexyangel was saying about a freestyle singer doing the chorus for a hip hop song.Can you imagine if Cynthia did the vocals for Fat Joe's "Whats Luv" ( I think she would have sang it better then Ashanti LOL) but like she said, it would spark the curiosity of the people who don't know who Cynthia is. This is kind of a touchy subject. I hope people dont' get offended. I think any suggestions would be great but do we really have the power to change anything?

Mike
Old 09-05-2002, 10:23 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Brklyn345 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by DannyDFreestyle [/i]

"Just because a handfull of freestyle artists came out on mtv and were heard on the radio for probably less than 5 years doesn't constitute mainstream."

FYI: Cynthia, George Lamond, The Cover Girls, and Lil Suzy have been on the radio for more than 10 years

Did they have special shows just playing freestyle videos like they do rap?

FYI: Second Generation

How often do you see freestyle now when they show old videos?

FYI: VH1 has shown Expose, Nu Shooz, Taylor Dayne, and the Cover Girls during "The Big 80's

How often do you hear freestyle on the radio stations that play '80's music?

FYI: Every day
Old 09-05-2002, 10:26 AM
CF Member

Mike 4te
Quote:
How lame would it be if there was a clubdisco.com with people saying that disco shouldn't change and should keep the old school sound forever or its not freestyle.
I meant to say ...old school sound forever or its not disco. Sorry
Old 09-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Honorary CF Member

mike4949 is on a distinguished road
Lets keeps talking, but no fighting on this thread mainly references to people smoking sh*t(it's very offensive to some)!! That's why it's hard discussing hip hop on here. Good ideas though.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Honorary CF Member

Sexyangel329 is on a distinguished road
I am glad that we are able to discuss this as adults and remember lets not take things personal its all about the music no name calling or dissing each other. I want some honest imput, Can we change anything who knows anything is possible right guys

http://www.myspace.com/sexyangel329
Old 09-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Honorary CF Member

mike4949 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Angie!!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Honorary CF Member

Sexyangel329 is on a distinguished road
fo sho mike

http://www.myspace.com/sexyangel329
Old 09-05-2002, 12:29 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Cool

O.K. Mike !! my badd. freestyle will live forever.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:15 PM
CF Member

DannyDFreestyle
Re: Naya, please educate this young kid !!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by smoothrhythm
Danny, if you put Marc Anthony in Texas stadium he would sellout all the seats. If you think that Marc Anthony is just hot over here and in Puerto Rico you need to get a copy of Billboard and do some extensive reading. Your ass is in Oak Cliff Texas. What's the population there 100 people. I've been around freestyle probably longer than you've been born. To say that most old school freestyle artists can't sing is insane. I'll let Naya handle you from here on in. Naya, please educate this young kid please.
Kid? Thanks for calling a 34 year old man a kid. And by the way Oak Cliff is part of Dallas that constitutes about half of Dallas and the D/FW Metroplex includes about 50 different cities with a population of a few million. And the only selling out he did is to his fans. But that's another story. I believe any Tejano band would sell out Texas Stadium before Marc Anthony. Not many Ricans here. Dude...tomorrow you're gonna be telling me Enrique Iglesias was a freestyle singer. Get off the pipe.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:21 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Taz X.T.R.
:texican
Old 09-05-2002, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taz X.T.R.

Which is why they need Hip Hop artists working with them.
honestly, any type of main stream artist would work, POP, hip hop, trance, r&b......if you get the right formula, you got a great track!
Old 09-05-2002, 03:27 PM

Quote:

well, what about K7? He had a great success as a mainstream artist.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:31 PM

Quote:

didnt "grunge" have just about the same amount of fame in regards to time?

freestyle had the same (maybe more) and it went mainstream also. what constitutes your philosophy?