Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Charts, Reviews, Marketplace and more... > DJ Info / Voice/ Singing / Technical / Production

Notices

DJ Info / Voice/ Singing / Technical / Production DJ forum, Technical and Production issues.

Freestyle Forum: Labeling bpms om tracks.

Old 03-26-2005, 12:24 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Labeling bpms om tracks.

Ok Dj's

Years ago when I was learning to count bpms on records, I would label the records with the bpms so I can save some time when I was beatmatching.. It really didn't help when I had to throw in a request though..lol.

Lately I have been thinking of doing this again with my cds.. even though I haven't run into a case where the bpms had threw me off.

What do you guys do to help with the mixing i.e save time.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:00 PM
CF Freestyler

bullboykennels is on a distinguished road
well i dont' know if you carry a lap top with a big hard drive that has all of your records/cd's stored on them but there is a free program that keeps track of all the bpm of your tracks for easy access to them,.. it may be of some help for what you are doing. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:01 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboykennels
well i dont' know if you carry a lap top with a big hard drive that has all of your records/cd's stored on them but there is a free program that keeps track of all the bpm of your tracks for easy access to them,.. it may be of some help for what you are doing. Just a suggestion.
Nope no lap top.
I mix useing an (American Audio DCD - PRO 400 Dual Cd player & Numark Matrix 3 Mixer..) And A butt load of cds..lol
Old 03-26-2005, 05:02 PM
CF Freestyler

bullboykennels is on a distinguished road
No i think maybe you mis understood what i meant,. so I'll explaine it,. What i meant was you cas store info on bpm on a program that all it does is keep track of that info you so that you don't have to mark up your cd's or vinly's i didn't mean to use your laptop for mixing purposes. Hopefully this will have clarified that for you,. just in case you misunderstood what I meant.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:04 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboykennels
No i think maybe you mis understood what i meant,. so I'll explaine it,. What i meant was you cas store info on bpm on a program that all it does is keep track of that info you so that you don't have to mark up your cd's or vinly's i didn't mean to use your laptop for mixing purposes. Hopefully this will have clarified that for you,. just in case you misunderstood what I meant.
ohh Ok..lol
Old 04-04-2005, 08:10 AM
CF Freestyler

up2late is on a distinguished road
Actually I use the red lights on my 1200's to match bpms. Call me crazy but I figured out a system to actulayy getting it to work.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:52 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2late
Actually I use the red lights on my 1200's to match bpms. Call me crazy but I figured out a system to actulayy getting it to work.
That's not crazy at all. If I remember right the dots on the turn table seem to change when you increase or decrease the pitch. So I guess if your quick enough it should help.:spin
Old 04-05-2005, 03:04 PM
CF Freestyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted
That's not crazy at all. If I remember right the dots on the turn table seem to change when you increase or decrease the pitch. So I guess if your quick enough it should help.:spin
Yeah I can basically tell based on the record and the speed of the lights what the BPM is. anything over 135 though is a little more tricky.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:50 PM
CF Member

Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
sorry for this reply but try to mix for long measures on hardware (turntables or cd players) and u won't have a problem in bpm
Old 04-06-2005, 07:21 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix-Master
sorry for this reply but try to mix for long measures on hardware (turntables or cd players) and u won't have a problem in bpm
The only problem I really run into when making long blends is you have to ride the pitch..I learned even with the same exact equipment if you don't ride and pay attention you'll lose it..
Old 04-06-2005, 07:25 PM
CF Member

depends on kids of songs in general songs older than 1990 need huge attention (try to mix crying over you clubmix - soave it's f***s everybody)
new songs are very much easier due to professional sequencing these days
Old 04-06-2005, 07:27 PM
CF Member

depends on the kinds of songs , in general songs older than 1990 need huge attention (try to mix crying over you clubmix - soave it f***s everybody and u can't leave the pitch for 2 sec )
new songs are very much easier due to professional sequencing these days i can blend 2 songs for more than 2 min without touching the pitch
Old 04-06-2005, 07:30 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

I remember years ago my first house party I made the mistake of mixing two songs on two completly different bmp ranges I was only paying attention to beat matching when i made the transition I successfully Destroyed the mix along with the vibe!!! It took me all night to get back into it..lol
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 PM
CF Freestyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted
I remember years ago my first house party I made the mistake of mixing two songs on two completly different bmp ranges I was only paying attention to beat matching when i made the transition I successfully Destroyed the mix along with the vibe!!! It took me all night to get back into it..lol
feel ya on that one!
Old 04-09-2005, 09:12 PM
CF Member

try to blend more than two songs simultanously it's hard but u will get used 2
Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 PM
New To CF

djdenumz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
depends on the kinds of songs , in general songs older than 1990 need huge attention (try to mix crying over you clubmix - soave it f***s everybody and u can't leave the pitch for 2 sec )
new songs are very much easier due to professional sequencing these days i can blend 2 songs for more than 2 min without touching the pitch
A 2 minuet blend?
I like long blends but I cant find intro and outro that will last that long without bashing vocals from tt1 and tt2.:bangbang
I can do it with trance, but trance is about the easyist to mix in my judgment. Freestyle, I have a bit of trouble taking this approach.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:08 PM
CF Member

in freestyle try for example fantasy girl with crying over you
you can have a long blend but BEWARE
Old 04-18-2005, 01:41 PM
CF Freestyler

Quote:
in freestyle try for example fantasy girl with crying over you
you can have a long blend but BEWARE
Does sampling and looping count?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:56 PM
CF Member

-=J=-
No need to buy any hardware to calculate the BPM's of mp3's on your computer. Just cue up a list of files with this little proggie and it will run in the background. Does a decent job with most songs. Oh yeah, and it's a free download.

BPM Analyzer

Go here and here to learn more about mixing in "key".
Old 05-04-2005, 10:07 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Wow, this thread is still going..lol
As far as mixing in key the normal rule of thumb is not to exceed 3% of the bpm
I know how to count bpm's without a counter but when your mixing live you really don't have the time for it..lol especially if someone is bugging you for a request that is totally off key with what you got goin..lol
Old 05-06-2005, 08:16 PM
CF Member

hey guys i was reviewing my agenda i counted the parties i've been to as a dj for the last 5 years : 573 Parties
my advice again try to blend for long times (not necessary at a party) but as practice
the key point is blend without touching the pitch just set it once and mix over and over
till it;s like nothing i did it when i was leanring to dj 15 years ago and i have no problem at any type and usuallay these day i play 4 technics blending 4 songs at the same time
i will give ya all the url when i finish my website
Old 05-06-2005, 09:37 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

dayum without touching the pitch.. hell I'll try it sound challenging as hell i like it
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
New To CF

djjoker
yup
Old 06-11-2005, 12:30 PM
CF Member

Hey Ted
i like eurodance style of the early 90's and i'm very good at it
i have done a megamix about 8 years ago which is about 30 min long
in it i blended three to four songs simultaneously for long times i played about 50 songs in the 30 min give me your e-mail ( a big storage 1 ) and i'll send this mix for you
see how the belding for long measures made me mix and for the best results in mixing try to mix the same way
Old 06-12-2005, 07:12 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Quote:
Hey Ted
i like eurodance style of the early 90's and i'm very good at it
i have done a megamix about 8 years ago which is about 30 min long
in it i blended three to four songs simultaneously for long times i played about 50 songs in the 30 min give me your e-mail ( a big storage 1 ) and i'll send this mix for you
see how the belding for long measures made me mix and for the best results in mixing try to mix the same way
Cool.
can you upload it to www.yousendit.com and put my email as Recipient's Email Address: [email protected]
thnx