Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Charts, Reviews, Marketplace and more... > DJ Info / Voice/ Singing / Technical / Production

Notices

DJ Info / Voice/ Singing / Technical / Production DJ forum, Technical and Production issues.


Freestyle Forum: Labeling bpms om tracks.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-26-2005, 12:24 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Labeling bpms om tracks.

Ok Dj's

Years ago when I was learning to count bpms on records, I would label the records with the bpms so I can save some time when I was beatmatching.. It really didn't help when I had to throw in a request though..lol.

Lately I have been thinking of doing this again with my cds.. even though I haven't run into a case where the bpms had threw me off.

What do you guys do to help with the mixing i.e save time.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 03-26-2005, 02:00 PM
bullboykennels's Avatar
bullboykennels bullboykennels is offline
CF Freestyler
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 46
Posts: 597
bullboykennels is on a distinguished road
well i dont' know if you carry a lap top with a big hard drive that has all of your records/cd's stored on them but there is a free program that keeps track of all the bpm of your tracks for easy access to them,.. it may be of some help for what you are doing. Just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2005, 03:01 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboykennels
well i dont' know if you carry a lap top with a big hard drive that has all of your records/cd's stored on them but there is a free program that keeps track of all the bpm of your tracks for easy access to them,.. it may be of some help for what you are doing. Just a suggestion.
Nope no lap top.
I mix useing an (American Audio DCD - PRO 400 Dual Cd player & Numark Matrix 3 Mixer..) And A butt load of cds..lol
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2005, 05:02 PM
bullboykennels's Avatar
bullboykennels bullboykennels is offline
CF Freestyler
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 46
Posts: 597
bullboykennels is on a distinguished road
No i think maybe you mis understood what i meant,. so I'll explaine it,. What i meant was you cas store info on bpm on a program that all it does is keep track of that info you so that you don't have to mark up your cd's or vinly's i didn't mean to use your laptop for mixing purposes. Hopefully this will have clarified that for you,. just in case you misunderstood what I meant.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2005, 08:04 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboykennels
No i think maybe you mis understood what i meant,. so I'll explaine it,. What i meant was you cas store info on bpm on a program that all it does is keep track of that info you so that you don't have to mark up your cd's or vinly's i didn't mean to use your laptop for mixing purposes. Hopefully this will have clarified that for you,. just in case you misunderstood what I meant.
ohh Ok..lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2005, 08:10 AM
up2late's Avatar
up2late up2late is offline
CF Freestyler
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 367
up2late is on a distinguished road
Actually I use the red lights on my 1200's to match bpms. Call me crazy but I figured out a system to actulayy getting it to work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2005, 02:52 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by up2late
Actually I use the red lights on my 1200's to match bpms. Call me crazy but I figured out a system to actulayy getting it to work.
That's not crazy at all. If I remember right the dots on the turn table seem to change when you increase or decrease the pitch. So I guess if your quick enough it should help.:spin
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2005, 03:04 PM
up2late's Avatar
up2late up2late is offline
CF Freestyler
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 367
up2late is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted
That's not crazy at all. If I remember right the dots on the turn table seem to change when you increase or decrease the pitch. So I guess if your quick enough it should help.:spin
Yeah I can basically tell based on the record and the speed of the lights what the BPM is. anything over 135 though is a little more tricky.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Mix-Master's Avatar
Mix-Master Mix-Master is offline
CF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 42
Posts: 225
Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
sorry for this reply but try to mix for long measures on hardware (turntables or cd players) and u won't have a problem in bpm
__________________
But now u go ur way and i'll go mine but i'm crying over u!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-06-2005, 07:21 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix-Master
sorry for this reply but try to mix for long measures on hardware (turntables or cd players) and u won't have a problem in bpm
The only problem I really run into when making long blends is you have to ride the pitch..I learned even with the same exact equipment if you don't ride and pay attention you'll lose it..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Mix-Master's Avatar
Mix-Master Mix-Master is offline
CF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 42
Posts: 225
Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
depends on kids of songs in general songs older than 1990 need huge attention (try to mix crying over you clubmix - soave it's f***s everybody)
new songs are very much easier due to professional sequencing these days
__________________
But now u go ur way and i'll go mine but i'm crying over u!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Mix-Master's Avatar
Mix-Master Mix-Master is offline
CF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 42
Posts: 225
Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
depends on the kinds of songs , in general songs older than 1990 need huge attention (try to mix crying over you clubmix - soave it f***s everybody and u can't leave the pitch for 2 sec )
new songs are very much easier due to professional sequencing these days i can blend 2 songs for more than 2 min without touching the pitch
__________________
But now u go ur way and i'll go mine but i'm crying over u!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-06-2005, 07:30 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember years ago my first house party I made the mistake of mixing two songs on two completly different bmp ranges I was only paying attention to beat matching when i made the transition I successfully Destroyed the mix along with the vibe!!! It took me all night to get back into it..lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 PM
up2late's Avatar
up2late up2late is offline
CF Freestyler
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 367
up2late is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted
I remember years ago my first house party I made the mistake of mixing two songs on two completly different bmp ranges I was only paying attention to beat matching when i made the transition I successfully Destroyed the mix along with the vibe!!! It took me all night to get back into it..lol
feel ya on that one!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Mix-Master's Avatar
Mix-Master Mix-Master is offline
CF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 42
Posts: 225
Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
try to blend more than two songs simultanously it's hard but u will get used 2
__________________
But now u go ur way and i'll go mine but i'm crying over u!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 PM
djdenumz's Avatar
djdenumz djdenumz is offline
New To CF
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangin da clubs on Deleware ave Philly
Age: 45
Posts: 29
djdenumz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix-Master
depends on the kinds of songs , in general songs older than 1990 need huge attention (try to mix crying over you clubmix - soave it f***s everybody and u can't leave the pitch for 2 sec )
new songs are very much easier due to professional sequencing these days i can blend 2 songs for more than 2 min without touching the pitch
A 2 minuet blend?
I like long blends but I cant find intro and outro that will last that long without bashing vocals from tt1 and tt2.:bangbang
I can do it with trance, but trance is about the easyist to mix in my judgment. Freestyle, I have a bit of trouble taking this approach.
__________________
Proud Liberal
I rather be pushn vinyl then buttons
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Mix-Master's Avatar
Mix-Master Mix-Master is offline
CF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 42
Posts: 225
Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
in freestyle try for example fantasy girl with crying over you
you can have a long blend but BEWARE
__________________
But now u go ur way and i'll go mine but i'm crying over u!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-18-2005, 01:41 PM
up2late's Avatar
up2late up2late is offline
CF Freestyler
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 367
up2late is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix-Master
in freestyle try for example fantasy girl with crying over you
you can have a long blend but BEWARE
Does sampling and looping count?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-03-2005, 11:56 PM
-=J=- -=J=- is offline
CF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Down the street
Posts: 49
-=J=-
No need to buy any hardware to calculate the BPM's of mp3's on your computer. Just cue up a list of files with this little proggie and it will run in the background. Does a decent job with most songs. Oh yeah, and it's a free download.

BPM Analyzer

Go here and here to learn more about mixing in "key".
__________________
:evilgrin0038: The devil made me do it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-04-2005, 10:07 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, this thread is still going..lol
As far as mixing in key the normal rule of thumb is not to exceed 3% of the bpm
I know how to count bpm's without a counter but when your mixing live you really don't have the time for it..lol especially if someone is bugging you for a request that is totally off key with what you got goin..lol
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Mix-Master's Avatar
Mix-Master Mix-Master is offline
CF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 42
Posts: 225
Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
hey guys i was reviewing my agenda i counted the parties i've been to as a dj for the last 5 years : 573 Parties
my advice again try to blend for long times (not necessary at a party) but as practice
the key point is blend without touching the pitch just set it once and mix over and over
till it;s like nothing i did it when i was leanring to dj 15 years ago and i have no problem at any type and usuallay these day i play 4 technics blending 4 songs at the same time
i will give ya all the url when i finish my website
__________________
But now u go ur way and i'll go mine but i'm crying over u!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-06-2005, 09:37 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
dayum without touching the pitch.. hell I'll try it sound challenging as hell i like it
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
djjoker djjoker is offline
New To CF
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Age: 39
Posts: 3
djjoker
yup
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Mix-Master's Avatar
Mix-Master Mix-Master is offline
CF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 42
Posts: 225
Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
Hey Ted
i like eurodance style of the early 90's and i'm very good at it
i have done a megamix about 8 years ago which is about 30 min long
in it i blended three to four songs simultaneously for long times i played about 50 songs in the 30 min give me your e-mail ( a big storage 1 ) and i'll send this mix for you
see how the belding for long measures made me mix and for the best results in mixing try to mix the same way
__________________
But now u go ur way and i'll go mine but i'm crying over u!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-12-2005, 07:12 PM
ted ted is offline
CF Senior Freestyler
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Posts: 1,867
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix-Master
Hey Ted
i like eurodance style of the early 90's and i'm very good at it
i have done a megamix about 8 years ago which is about 30 min long
in it i blended three to four songs simultaneously for long times i played about 50 songs in the 30 min give me your e-mail ( a big storage 1 ) and i'll send this mix for you
see how the belding for long measures made me mix and for the best results in mixing try to mix the same way
Cool.
can you upload it to www.yousendit.com and put my email as Recipient's Email Address: [email protected]
thnx
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bpms, labeling, tracks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.