Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Charts, Reviews, Marketplace and more... > DJ Info / Voice/ Singing / Technical / Production

Notices

DJ Info / Voice/ Singing / Technical / Production DJ forum, Technical and Production issues.

Freestyle Forum: Beat Matching Question

Old 06-20-2004, 02:08 AM
CF Member

CHIBOY
Beat Matching Question

I Was Just Wondering Do Any Of You Dj's Use Some Kind Of Machine To Match Beats Automatically To Get Them On Point. Or Do You Just Mix Them Manually. And If There Is Some Kind Of Program Which Is It, Thanks.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:10 AM
CF Freestyler

DOS Records has a little shameless behaviour in the past
you can use acid 4.0 to make beats time stretch and lay em over and do mixes (for fake d.j's) also pioneer makes a cool effects machine that gives u the bpm of any signal u put into it, has crazy effects and such, and if you are mixing cd's, most new cd decks tell u the bpm and have time stretch features that let u speed/slow the track to match the current playing song. I just purchchased the American Audio dcd-pro-1000 that has a great time stretch feature the lets u go from 138 to 85 with no quality loss at all, an amazing piece of gear, but in the end, if u want to do it with no effort, use acid..all u have to do is import the file and beatmap it...have fun
Old 06-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

Mysterious Darkness is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't have said it any better myself. I would have to disagree with you in something DOS Records. The computer is the future DJ equipment. Soon you're gonna see DJ's using mp3's from their computer using a DJ mix program at parties and clubs.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Banned

It will be less costly and just as efficient as regular equipment.

It's not about what equipment you use to DJ, it's how you use it.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:07 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

sietzsounds is on a distinguished road
i figured the bpm's on a good portion of my 3,000 records, and then i just use my ears....
Old 06-20-2004, 04:44 PM
CF Freestyler

DOS Records has a little shameless behaviour in the past
yea, it's all good using compuet mixers at parties untill, um a very big problem among cumpters and audio.....can someone say crash?? now what, your at a party dj'n the event..and POOF there goes the neighborhood, why? cuz the pc crashed.... they do have new hard drive based cd mixers comming out, but again i am still iffy on the whole hard drive concept, they crash and lose verything
Old 06-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Banned

Nah. That's why you buy a fast computer with alot of memory and an anti-virus.

You're not gonna sit here and tell me that you never had problems in your life using regular equipment. It's the same ordeal. But the computer is more assured than regular equipment. You don't have to worry about CD's skipping, or records hissing cuz all you're dealing with are mp3's.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:43 AM
CF Member

djdilliodon1 is on a distinguished road
numark beat keeper 2 is what i use
Old 08-26-2004, 11:51 AM
New To CF

clubpro is on a distinguished road
Don't sell yourself short

Computers are great, but you should always learn the art of Vinyl mixing. That's where the art began. I've been doing it for a long time and I have also learned CD mixing, because I play latin as well...and you need to have software experience if you wish to create music. I will never stop using Vinyl as long as it's still around....some djs that have never used Vinyl will probably not understand, but the feel is much better although it is a little more difficult for those starting out. In terms of beat matching, I've never used a counter. The longer you Dj the better you'll get at just knowing which songs are close in beats.

www.dj-fx.com
Old 08-30-2004, 05:37 PM
New To CF

Vjc
Yes i Agree...since i've been Jammin Since 1975.....i've mix Vinyl/Cd's/mp'3s....in my years of DJing...i've mix both Vinyl and CD's in Mixes and Party's....and just go with the Cuts and Mix on the Fly....been doing this for a long time ....my advice Get 2 turntables and mix some vinyl Frist...the Feeling Is Just Different...once you Spin Vinyl the Rest is Easy....i think...

VJC
Old 09-21-2004, 07:48 PM
New To CF

Djshanoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjc
Yes i Agree...since i've been Jammin Since 1975.....i've mix Vinyl/Cd's/mp'3s....in my years of DJing...i've mix both Vinyl and CD's in Mixes and Party's....and just go with the Cuts and Mix on the Fly....been doing this for a long time ....my advice Get 2 turntables and mix some vinyl Frist...the Feeling Is Just Different...once you Spin Vinyl the Rest is Easy....i think...

VJC

I couldn't have said it better. Although i've only been djing since the mid 90's.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:34 PM
New To CF

Mani Treavor is on a distinguished road
The Pioneer 500 or 600 will tell you the Bmp....very helpful for better mixing....but just remember evne with that....you still have to learn how to beatmacth.....that doesn't mean you are going to get it right......just helps a great deal...and if you are a poor DJ and cant afford pro mixers.....then just do the formula... count the beats in your head...do this for one minute....then divied by 3...and you got your BMP....then you can do it manual.....on the tech's...each little line is about 5 beats .....so you just adjust your bmp....to what you want it to be.....and also remember .....if your truly a music man..than you will know most dance music is 4/4....and you should learn when to bring in your next songs....thanks....and have fun mixing.....but i really suggest in getting a pioneer....all the pro-djs use them...and will help you concertrate on your selfimage more...nothing like a retarded DJ....trying to find his BMP looking down on his records....those are the ones that never get to travel....and if all comes to loose...go to the thedjlist.com buy a CD from one of the Top 10 DJ's.....and learn from them....don't take anyone word that is not on that list...latz
Old 11-04-2004, 10:13 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! NEVER USE A MACHINE TO BEAT MATCH FOR YOU!!!!! YOU'LL NEVER LEARN THAT WAY.. IT'S BEST TO GO BY EAR. tHEN LEARN PHRASING.. IF YOUR TRYING TO MIX OR BE A DJ.. YOUR JUST CHEATING YOURSELF, iF YOU GET A GIG MOST CLUBS STILL USE TABLES W/O BEATMATCHING GEAR...

uHHMM SORRY JUST MY OLD SCHOOL OPINION...

p.s don't let it bother you if you don't get it right away.. beatmatching is not an easy thing to do, it takes some people months before they can say they know how to do it.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:57 PM

D.J. Paradise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! NEVER USE A MACHINE TO BEAT MATCH FOR YOU!!!!! YOU'LL NEVER LEARN THAT WAY.. IT'S BEST TO GO BY EAR. tHEN LEARN PHRASING.. IF YOUR TRYING TO MIX OR BE A DJ.. YOUR JUST CHEATING YOURSELF, iF YOU GET A GIG MOST CLUBS STILL USE TABLES W/O BEATMATCHING GEAR...

uHHMM SORRY JUST MY OLD SCHOOL OPINION...

p.s don't let it bother you if you don't get it right away.. beatmatching is not an easy thing to do, it takes some people months before they can say they know how to do it.
Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmm, couldnt have said it better Ted....
150% correct on this bro....
Old 11-14-2004, 02:59 PM
New To CF

djcham is on a distinguished road
mixmeister?

You gotta learn it yourself...no doubt..

if you're intersted in just putting together tracks for yourself..you should check out mixmeister 4.0.

Nothing beats 2 turntables tho..
Old 11-17-2004, 06:42 PM
CF Member

HEARTHROBDJ95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcham
You gotta learn it yourself...no doubt..

if you're intersted in just putting together tracks for yourself..you should check out mixmeister 4.0.

Nothing beats 2 turntables tho..
I've used that program b4 and i really didnt like it, it really felt like I was cheating! Listen to everyone else, go by ear. Once you get it, it will come very easy to you. Well at least it did for me.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:11 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

This Is GoodBye
Cool Edit Pro
Acid
Fereone
Sephricalitor
Scratch Board
Whister 2
Vinyl Distrubution

these are all good
Old 03-11-2005, 11:03 PM
CF Freestyler

bullboykennels is on a distinguished road
djing with records is fine,. but you get more use out of digital cd or even mixing mp3 files,. a good program to use is the newest version of final scratch which is on a computer but still allow's you to do it using vinly replication for mixing,. so you still have that old school feel,. for those who still like using records. plus it keeps you from having to buy double the records as some people so. I myself still use turntable's by technic,. and digital turntable's by pioneer,. some people just need to learn that we are in a world of technical advancement and times do change. and so does the equipment we use. whether or not you may think it's for real or fake dj's,.. Basically use what you like and what makes you feel comfortable. My opinion is the digital way although i still like analog. Hope this reply helps you.