Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Charts, Reviews, Marketplace and more... > DJ Info / Voice/ Singing / Technical / Production

Notices

DJ Info / Voice/ Singing / Technical / Production DJ forum, Technical and Production issues.

Freestyle Forum: Mega Mixes or Edit Mixes

Old 02-28-2004, 02:06 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Mega Mixes or Edit Mixes

I have Question for all the mixers out there. I'm in a debate with some one who is telling me with the editing software available today like Cool Edit And Sound Forge, you can make a mega mix or an eit mix without the aid of turntables or mixers. I thought a Dj would have to mix it first with the tables and mixer Then use the software just to touh it up or enhance it. If I'm wrong please let me know.:huh

Old 02-28-2004, 03:50 PM

D.J. Paradise is on a distinguished road
Maybe there is a way to put it together with the program but it wount sound mixed.
Many peeps do not like like mixes that are cut together.

In my opinion, the songs should be mixed together first then dumped to be edited.
That's what I do atleast.
It takes more than just dumping the songs into a program and doing edits.
Edits are an art form and takes time to sound right.

You HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO MIX,lol !!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-28-2004, 05:44 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Location: New York born, Sunset Park, now living in PA and badly missing freestyle music.
Those are my thoughts exactly. I believe you have to mix it on the tables first. No program will do it for you and sound good. You are right IT'S AN ART FORM NOT A SKILL.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:56 PM
CF Member

LuisLikeDis is an unknown quantity at this point
Back in the day there were limited ways to edit and realy spice up mixxes, via reel to reel, multi turtables and samplers now with computers and and various progams a dj can expand on his mixxes............I like putting on shows or really getting down with the tables at clubs and diffent type deals when it comes to that. But when it comes down to do mix cd's I like to expand on with it these programs that are avilable for that. Regardless of the programs and the technolgy out there a dj/producer has to have that art form or creativity to know what to do and what sounds good.......It really depends on the taste of the buyer also...........but in all it takes time and hard work and always keep that in mind..........I know making the mix and blending to some peeps is keeping it real or staying true and it is but like everything else the dj has to chenge with the times a lil.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Senior Freestyler

bigMARC is an unknown quantity at this point
Speaking of software, I'm kinda skeptic about this program my brother is telling me about. I still have to check it out and see what's the deal. But I believe it won't sound the same as a mix being "mixed" rather it will most likely sound "looped''. I love it ol'skool with the mixer and two turn tables(or three sometimes). Back when I did it, it was a work of art so to speak. the beats have to be blended well. I don't know how the pc would do.

M..
Old 06-03-2005, 08:39 PM
CF Member

homerjay is on a distinguished road
That's all bull!!!

I disagree with almost everything you guys are saying. I know that was over a year ago but i'm just reading it now. I've made seven mixes so far ( freestyle anyway, and a couple old school rap mixes too) using computer software and i'd have to say that they sound better than most of you true djs out there. If there's anyway to prove, just tell me and I'll do it. They even sound better than just about every mixed cd I ever bought and thats a shitload.( But I do have to say they don't even touch Tazmania Freestyle: Mega Mix, Vol. 2 . Damn I love that cd.)
Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjay
I disagree with almost everything you guys are saying. I know that was over a year ago but i'm just reading it now. I've made seven mixes so far ( freestyle anyway, and a couple old school rap mixes too) using computer software and i'd have to say that they sound better than most of you true djs out there. If there's anyway to prove, just tell me and I'll do it. They even sound better than just about every mixed cd I ever bought and thats a shitload.( But I do have to say they don't even touch Tazmania Freestyle: Mega Mix, Vol. 2 . Damn I love that cd.)
Well your right it's been a years since I first posted this, I even forgot this was here. I since had a friend make a mega mix purely using software and it blew me away at how good and damn near flawless it was. So I would be forced to agree with you. But I still believe it's an art form!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:38 AM
CF Member

Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
well it depends on the skill in using the computer software in mixing
last year i made a freestyle mixed cd on a software called Vegas by the same company that brought the Sound forge
many heard the Cd and thought it was table mixed i also Added some scratches which i also made by Computer
you can do everything you can imagine on a computer from mixing to sampling to editing to anything But NOTHING can replace the feeling of the touch of the Lp on a nice smooth Slipmat when u are at live mixing i'm good at both ways but to live mix is better in the FEELING only .......
Old 06-04-2005, 12:09 PM
CF Member

I agree with both you guys. Live is much better. There's a better sense of accomplishment. But you don't even need any dj skills to do it on the computer, well you need some. I've never been that good or been able to afford the equipment I needed to do the things I wanted to do it live, I dont have the time either anymore with ya know having the family and all (damn wife and kids)(just kidding dear). My friend gave me the mixmiester program a few years ago but never really messed with is or even knew the potential. It was so confusing but I did a little at a time and made some pretty damn good mixes, no scratches though, would love to put some in just dont have anything to get me the effect.
Since then I've upgraded and made more mixes. Willing to trade mixes with anyone, you can never have too many mixes. Even with the same songs, its just nice to hear good deejaying. I'll post the songs, just let me know.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 PM
CF Member

Homer's freestyle I
bad of the heart
show me
don't look back
who's got your love
silent morning
crying over you
where are you now
so tell me, tell me
wondering
the nights we shared
if you want me
can't let you go
where does that leave love
to be in your arms
my fallen angel
tears of tears
Old 06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
CF Member

Homer's freestyle II

bad of the heart
show me
don't look back
who's got your love
silent morning
crying over you
where are you now
so tell me, tell me
wondering
the nights we shared
if you want me
can't let you go
where does that leave love
to be in your arms
my fallen angel
tears of tears

Homer's freestyle III

fantasy girl
tearshed
inside outside
why did you have change on me
foolish pride
you are the one
maria
in and out of love
my sweet love
girl you hear me crying
runaway love
stevie b mix
dreamboy dreamgirl
drums of love
show me the way
love you will you love me
i wanna hold you

Homer's freestyle IV

without you
endless night
by i've been told
why can't you be mine
don't let me go
together forever
a day in my live
should've never let you go
surrender you love
only in the night
fallen angel
i want to know what your thinking
i've been thnking about you
baby I love you
promise me
another night
why did you quit on me
Old 06-04-2005, 12:19 PM
CF Member

Some more cds

Homer's freestyle V

my final goodbye- 122 bpm mix
if you wanted to love me
dont let me go
its never too late
forever amor
highways of love
then came you
real love
one true love affair
you're the one for me
regrets only
temptation
i want you
don't leave me now
destiny
faded destiny
don't go away girl
first true love
you're my everything

Homer's freestyle VI

why did you do it
i have dreams
hooked on you
games of love
my heart alone
you are the one
give your love to me
don't be afraid
x-ray vision
materialistic girl
stand by your lover
listen to my cries
you'll never find another love
i feel it in my heart
got me loving you
precious
you
give me back my heart

Homer's freestyle VII

when will you come back to me -running back mix
It's all about you
Falling slowly
you know the deal
extascy
Deja Vue
I love you more than life
Remember
Out of time
U came when
By your side
Always and forever
I'm the one to blame
It could've been love
I won't forget
Some kind of love
Through and through
forever young
Dance through the night
Old 06-04-2005, 12:51 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

If you click the link below you can go to my in tha mix section where myself and other dj's have supplied mixes for download. some are just simple club style blend and others are full sampling edit style mega mixes.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:41 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

This Is GoodBye
U Can try Out

EJAY....It Lets U make Your Own Music With Your own beats N Stuff...U Might Like It
Old 06-07-2005, 12:40 AM
CF Member

Thanks guys

I'll check that site out and see what i can do.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:31 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

DJ Soul is on a distinguished road
I prefer mixing on 1's and 2's n 3 n 4's to mix live sure the mixers today and decks have live looping and edit on the fly features thats all good your remixing live. But Its understandable to if your making a "Mega Mixed CD" That your gonna wanna enhance it and toss all the bells n whistle you can. Its all good. But theres nothing better than live The flow the programming and glavor when your in a zone feeding off of others cant be replicated behind a screen. my opinion
Old 06-07-2005, 11:19 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soul
I prefer mixing on 1's and 2's n 3 n 4's to mix live sure the mixers today and decks have live looping and edit on the fly features thats all good your remixing live. But Its understandable to if your making a "Mega Mixed CD" That your gonna wanna enhance it and toss all the bells n whistle you can. Its all good. But theres nothing better than live The flow the programming and glavor when your in a zone feeding off of others cant be replicated behind a screen. my opinion
Wow, Very well put!!! That's the heart & Soul (no pun intended) of a good Dj feeding off the reaction of a live crowd and knowing what works and what to change!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:49 PM
CF Member

cratebug is on a distinguished road
Mega mixes & edit mixes. Not saying either is a bad or good thing, but whatever happened to letting the listener your making the mixes for, whether it's for your friends, the public, or for yourself, hear the real you. I am a live dj 100% all the way, all the time...whether I'm playing out, jamming at home or recording a mix. And anyone that knows me can tell you this. There's nothing like the feeling you get when people listen to your mix, then they get back to you asking, "Damn man, did you really mix this thing live?!" It feels good because you know that what they heard was you in the raw, without any software, no edits, no bs, no help creating that mix whatsoever. Why would I would I want to take credit for a mix that Cool Edit, Sound Forge, or even Tractor tweaked for me? If you are on top of your skills, what is there to fear? I have my equipment set up where the sound quality is beautiful. The skills that I started practicing 22 yrs ago are still very much intact...due to practice. If I want a remix of a certain song, I grab 2 copies of it and practice with them until I am happy with a remix I can recreate live....trust me guys, it's not a hard thing to do. I don't underestimate my abilities, that's why i have no worries when ever I'm about to do a live set or record a mix. I've been called a purist...I've been accused of being stuck in the past....my skills & approch to deejaying have even been called 'primitive'. And you know what? I'm comfortable with all those terms. All I know is that my approach to mixing is still the same as it was back in 83. If it ain't broke, why try & fix it? Do not get me wrong, much respect & love to all who use modern methods & mediums to get their vibe across, as long as you're making the listener & all those faces on the dancefloor happy as well as you being happy with your mix. That's what counts in the end. Everything that I've mentioned regarding traditional or 'old school' methods & approaches to deejaying is just me voicing my own personal preference to getting my vibe across....no disrespect to anyone.

Dios los cuide,

dj cratebug (Chgo)
www.djcratebug.com
Old 08-07-2005, 01:06 AM
CF Freestyler

bullboykennels is on a distinguished road
Pesonally I live the new cdj's out with the looping effect buit in,.. I can say first hand i've been able to mix tracks together that other wise I may have not been able to just due to timing issues,. it allows me to extend a certain bpm without distoring the song and just jump back in a certain que point like if it never happened,.. but you really have to have your timing down in doing that so it does take a little practice for sure for sure in doing that. So with that being said I'm all for the Advancment in the Art Form and sum skill regardless at what level it is at is required. But Surely an Art Form.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:01 PM
CF Member

Mix-Master is on a distinguished road
both ways work you can mix just like live mixing with sound forge but u have to have the enough experience to do that and if u r good in sound forge and you know the rules of the games you can do anything software or hardware
Old 08-26-2005, 10:45 PM
New To CF

indegruv is on a distinguished road
this works, but it's very quirky and i get too aggravated using it. i prefer to make my mixes the analog way.

http://www.mixmeister.com/
Old 08-30-2005, 08:32 PM
CF Member

djantonio72 is on a distinguished road
I'm with Cratebug and Paradise. Vinyl mixing with the turntables is a true art form and its like a science you create. All dj's have there own style. I think putting together a mix with 12" records takes a lot of hard work, patience and dedication. I think every dj starting out now and days should give the vinyl a try. Believe me you get hooked. I could be in my basement jamming for hours just mixing away what comes to my mind. It is like if you are feeling something you could express it in a mix you uniquely put together from the heart. Those mixes you here that give you goosebumps are the good ones. Peace............ Antonio