Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Forums > American Freestyle Dance Music Discussion

Notices

American Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Forum for discussions regarding Freestyle dance music made in America

Freestyle Forum: when did freestyle start????

Old 01-12-2001, 06:48 AM
Junior Freestyler

ShorDee
Question

Here's a question I havent come up with an answer to.. When did freestyle Start???? Who was the first freestyle artist??? I heard it was my girl Nayobe, is this true or was it Shannon? They are both great but who started and when!

Old 01-12-2001, 07:43 AM
CF Freestyler

FrigginAnT
my best answer to this would be around ahh ill say 83-85?? i may be off a little.. as for the artists...Nayobe was one of the firsts, along with Shannon....i cant really say exactly who was the first...
Old 01-12-2001, 07:50 AM
The Gay Lord of Freestyle

ChuckD will become famous soon enough
Cool Oh, boy, here we go again!

This was the subject of quite a debate on the old board. Even Nayobe expressed her opinion. It was a toss up between Shannon and Nayobe, but the majority felt that Shannon was more electro-funk while Nayobe was true to the latin sound that would soon be considered freestle.
Old 01-12-2001, 07:58 AM
CF Freestyler

FrigginAnT
thats true...Shannon, Soulsonic Force were around a little before Nayobe. Its a hard question to get an exact answer to
Old 01-12-2001, 08:08 AM
New To CF

hairbearhero
Talking when did Freestyle begin

It seems that alot of people don't ackowledge Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express" which was the basis for "Planet Rock" by the Soul Sonic Force which is still sampled to this day in Freestyle music. In addition what about Planet Patrol? They had an album in 83 around or maybe even before Shannon. As far as Nayobe goes, the first reord I have from her is "Please Don't Go" on Fever Records from 1984. I think there a couple of other records from back then but those are the ones I recall from the top of my head. Oh yeah, C-Bank may have had a record in 83 but probably first in 84. Not sure. Post comments.
Old 01-12-2001, 09:19 AM
CF Freestyler

James Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point
it evolved......

I think its fair to say that freestyle, just like any other genre of music, EVOLVED to what it is now...As far back as 1982 the "Planet Rock" sound was originated as was the early days of hip-hop...Freestyle became an offshoot of the two...I dont think its fair to say that once Nayobe came along it was like "hey this is freestyle"...Remember it wasn't even called "freestyle" until the late 80's...Just remember guys, its all good and it continues to evolve to this day
Old 01-12-2001, 07:38 PM
CF Member

steve b is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink hey james wuzzzuup

Yep, you're right james, it is evolving, and there are some extremely talented voices making their debuts out there. i was especially impressed witrh Synthia Figueroa at Backdrafts a week ago. She sounds great.

As far as the beginning of freestyle, i have to go with my sentimental favorite Nayobe, plus Shannon's sound was a little more techno-ish. I like it, but it's not pure freestyle. later steve b
ps- hope u get to dj next time at backdrafts, i know u got the old stuff that really gets me dancin!!!
Old 01-12-2001, 10:19 PM
CF Freestyler

Jason has a little shameless behaviour in the past
It's kinda funny how some people call Shannon techno, electronica, not Freestyle, etc.

But remember, a BUNCH of Freestyle back then sounded electric or futuristic. Nice N Wild, Trinere, Will To Power, Timmy T, Lewis Matinee and Expose', etc.

After all this talk, I'm convinced that Freestyle is a marriage of dance and electrohop elements from Shannon and the latin flair from Nayobe.
Old 01-13-2001, 02:05 AM

Kenny Guido is on a distinguished road
Angry

the odds are not in your favor anymore JASON!!
Old 01-14-2001, 10:27 PM
CF Freestyler

Jason has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I don't think they're in yours either. Let's stop and call it quits.
Old 01-15-2001, 12:35 PM

Kenny Guido is on a distinguished road
Smile

NAYOBE backed up my statement, i dont see SHANNON running to your corner!!!
Old 01-15-2001, 01:26 PM
Recording / Performing Artist

Latin Nation is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Just one word

I think Jason is right which alot won't agree to it, but there's alot of artists who also came out with Nu wave, but was in the trend of Freestyle like Freeze "AEIOU", Yazz "Don't Go", and even Soft Cell "Tainted Love", so as for Shannon being electronical is not, and if you read credits you see Chris Barbosa and Ligosa all over it, as well who created Monet and Loose Touch now George Lamond same style. so Kenny Jason is very much correct sorry, but is true. It went from Latin Hip-Hop, to Club Music, to Freestyle, which I thought in my opinion should've never been called that do to confusion with Hip-hop....I get it all the times, I say i'm a freestyle artist and the first thing they ask is "You rap?" and I have to explain myself. I use to love the way it was called before, what ya think?
See ya