Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Forums > European Freestyle Dance Music Discussion

Notices

European Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Forum for discussions regarding Freestyle dance music made in Europe

Freestyle Forum: German Freestyle Scene?

Old 06-15-2004, 08:02 PM
New To CF

Electric Slide is on a distinguished road
German Freestyle Scene?

Hello everybody!

What do you know about a "German Frestyle Scene"? I´d really like to know!
To me Freestyle is something like a mystery.
I used to live in southern Germany, not too far from Stuttgart. There was really a "Freestyle Scene". All the girls listened to Stevie B. and Johnny O. , Lil Suzy and the others. There are clubs and discos where Freestyle is pumped all the night. And the people are dancin the "Electric Slide" ;-)
And I´ve even seen Stevie B. live !!! in a city with a population of 18,000 people.
But I´ve never seen a video of Stevie B or anybody other on MTV Germany or Viva or whatever European music channel.
And as I moved on to other places in Germany (Cologne!) I realised nobody ever heard of this type of music (what Freestyle? yeah I´ve heard a lot of rappers freestylin´...).

So I ask myself is the "German Freestyle Scene" a southern German act? Very small and nobody else in Germany ever heard of it?

And what´s up in the rest of the world? Are Stevie B. and Johnny O. THE Superstars of Freestyle? In Germany it´s all about "Funky Melody" and "Fantasy Girl"...

Old 06-16-2004, 05:20 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Location: Germany.....where the Freestyle Scene is real quiet right now !!!
Peter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Slide
Hello everybody!

What do you know about a "German Frestyle Scene"? I´d really like to know!
To me Freestyle is something like a mystery.
I used to live in southern Germany, not too far from Stuttgart. There was really a "Freestyle Scene". All the girls listened to Stevie B. and Johnny O. , Lil Suzy and the others. There are clubs and discos where Freestyle is pumped all the night. And the people are dancin the "Electric Slide" ;-)
And I´ve even seen Stevie B. live !!! in a city with a population of 18,000 people.
But I´ve never seen a video of Stevie B or anybody other on MTV Germany or Viva or whatever European music channel.
And as I moved on to other places in Germany (Cologne!) I realised nobody ever heard of this type of music (what Freestyle? yeah I´ve heard a lot of rappers freestylin´...).

So I ask myself is the "German Freestyle Scene" a southern German act? Very small and nobody else in Germany ever heard of it?

And what´s up in the rest of the world? Are Stevie B. and Johnny O. THE Superstars of Freestyle? In Germany it´s all about "Funky Melody" and "Fantasy Girl"...
I live in Southern Germany , too (Nuernberg) and Freestyle was very popular over here, from my City there came the Famous Freestyle Mixes from DJ Magic, Body Base comes from Nuernberg, too.....But you are right, mainly all of the Freestylelisteners know only stuff like Stevie B, Johnny O and Lil Suzy and a few others......but there are a few Hardcorecollectors like Vasilis, me and a few others.....

We have some Freestyle Series out of Germany 100 % Freestyle, Zyx Freestyle Series and a whole bunch of others.....but for me in my Opinion the Quality is wack since the last 5 issues from Zyx for Example......

Stevie B was in my town a few years ago, but no Promotion for the show and the place was not crowded.......

We have a few good Freestyle Artist out of Germany, Stonay, Body Base, Officer, Marc Austin, Music Instructor, MC.G.Gabriel, Anthony Norris, Frees System and so on.....the latest is Instant Illusion
Old 06-19-2004, 07:27 PM
CF Member

jboyvip
Well, being in San Antonio, Texas USA, there are no radio stations that play Freestyle music. Our last great Dance radio station disappeared in 2003 with 106.7 Jamz which played Freestyle music late every Sunday by request with guest local and famous artists. Virtually, Freestyle here is dead with a few exceptions. Angelina's "Forever", the remake of Anquette's and Janet Reno's "I Will Always Be There for You" released in 1988, is gaining good airplay at night at the 98.5 The Beat Hip Hop/R&B station or so it did. Other than that, Freestyle is just living on in the clubs and in the people. So in that case, nothing's "happening" really in San Antonio. But I do know one thing: San Antonio, with its dominant Hispanic population, has played an important part in the history of Freestyle music and keeping it alive. Almost everyone knows what Freestyle music sounds like (though some are quick to label it "Techno") and know that the roots lay in NYC by the Puerto Rican and other Latin peoples in that city and state.

Years ago, we used to have the unique KTFM 102.7 that played not only mainstream music but also some underground acts-this being pop, alternative rock, R&B. Hip Hop, and yes Dance and Freestyle. It was there when Collage sang "I'll Be Loving You" and when Nadine Renee embraced the vocals to Planet Soul's "Set You Free". It played Buffy, Jocelyn Enriquez, Angelina, SF Spanish Fly, MG, One Voice, Sa-Fire, George Lamond, Cynthia, and countless of others-from Old School to New School. It always had a popular live mix at 10:00 on the Weekdays and had a live mixshow from various clubs during Friday and Saturday that went on from 10:00-2:00, and from 2:00-4:00 or 5:00, an "afterhours" mix. Freestyle was heavily played during these mixes.

I remember that the mix DJs were, in my opinion, the best in the world. They picked the best bad a** jams in the categories of Hard House (Too Kool Chris, DJ Bam Bam, DJ Irene, Bad Boy Bill), Trance, Techno, Drum N Bass/Jungle, House, and Freestyle with the coolest mixes. Shout Outs go to all these wonderful DJs who kept Freestyle music-Dance music-alive during the great years of 1996-2001. They even offered rare remixes and kept it bumpin'. They were even able to find fans in the Hip Hop Community (don't forget, Freestyle is Latin Hip Hop), in the Trance Community, in the Pop community, etc. etc. But sometime around 2001-2002, the radio station switched formats and now it plays nothing but hardcore rock.

I hope one day that another Dance/Freestyle radio station would open so that we could know what's happening instead of searching the Internet for what's hot. That's one of the reasons why Freestyle almost died. There was little support in the radio stations even if there were masses of diehard Freestyle fans. So I guess what's happening is that we're very behind the New School Freestyle knowledge. :texican

But to get to the question, I think the German Freestyle scene is Ok. I personally like the Canadian Freestyle scene more. I'm not interested in the heavily sampled "Planet Rock" Beats that many European Freestyle artists have to offer and am not a big fan of EuroFreestyle. But I do like The Officers, Music Instructor, and Anthony Norris!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:07 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

bassbump is an unknown quantity at this point
Our Canadian freestyle defers slightly from the US sound and is very much the same as Germany's: We love planet rock!

Canadian Freestyle includes planet rock, electro, 2 steps, breaks, and breakbeat in addition to the traditional old school american style hearthrob as an integral part of the sound.

cheers,

g

http://64.71.142.231:8000/listen.pls

or visit us online www.dashock.com
for our latest freestyle playlist:
http://www.dashock.com/freestyle.html
Old 06-21-2004, 02:32 AM
New To CF

Eye][Eye is on a distinguished road
Peepz, How are you!!! Right Now I just released two New CD Singles that are also under the compilation 100% FreeStyle Vol.5 in Germany under Distel / Sony. First one is titled "My One True Love" & "We're Meant To Be" plus I have a few other releases coming out in a few months in Europe as well. The Next one is titled "You Got It Goin' On" For More information contact me at: [email protected].

If there is anyone in Canada interested in Distributing our product please PM me or E-mail me. Thank You

Yours Truly,
Willie "Eye ][ Eye"
CEO
InnoFuzion Music Group, Inc.
www.InnoFuzionMusicGroup.com
Old 06-21-2004, 07:19 AM
New To CF

Electric Slide is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the answers. It´s really interesting to hear something new about Freestyle and also it´s history.

@ Peter

When Stevie B. was in my town (well I wouldn´t call it a town - it´s just too small ;-) ) the place was really really crowded. He is like an god in this area.
Is Freestyle pumped reguarly in the clubs near Nürnberg?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:16 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

@ Bassbump,

i agree with you, canadian and german freestyle sounds almost the same
Old 06-21-2004, 10:51 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

@Peter

check out new major label european freestyle release we just received from Positiva/Universal

Ferry Corsten- It's Time (12")

it's 100% freestyle with nice vocals

Planet Freestyle with Gino Baggio
Sundays at 5pm ET on dashock remix radio

Our June playlist is at http://www.dashock.com/freestyle.html
Old 06-21-2004, 11:02 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

francis
Lightbulb

Really Bassbump?!?

Tell us a little bit more about this "Freestyle" genre concerning this song. I didn't hear yet.

Thanx for the information.

:bangbang
Old 06-21-2004, 12:31 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

There are 8 mixes on the promo. The instrumentals on the extended complete with planet rock, a hint of robotic freestyle project vocoders here and there (announcing the track title 'it's time' with the melodic breaks loop. The beats are very mid-80's and are close to what was used on exposé, nu shooz, taylor dayne and similar records of that era. In fact, you might mistake it for an updated nu shooz track hehe.

Ferry Corsten - It's Time (12"- Positiva/Universal Canada)

Old 06-22-2004, 01:32 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

francis
Thanx bassbump for the tip.

How to get it??? I would love to buy the CD or the 12". I'm a big fan of Ferry Corsten.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:23 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

The single "It's time" will be in stores June 28. Until then, the shorter album cut on his latest full lenght double cd release from February, "Right of Way", is just as good and keeps the freestyle vibe alive

Old 06-22-2004, 06:14 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

@ Bassbump, thank´s too for the tip....

How it comes that you get more of those stuff in Canada then we here in Germany ???
Old 06-22-2004, 05:59 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

We always get serviced with the latest pressings from dance labels at our dj record pool every month. I am not sure of the set up with the music pools over there in Germany.

cheers,

g

Planet Freestyle with Gino Baggio
Sundays at 5pm ET on dashock remix radio

Our June playlist is at http://www.dashock.com/freestyle.html
Old 06-23-2004, 09:53 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

can u get more copys and sell them to me ??? :sunshine
Old 06-23-2004, 09:58 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

I just found it the Track "It´s time" i like it, but it Sounds like Electro/NuFreestyle Breakbeat in my Opinion but very good
Old 06-24-2004, 01:47 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

There are many mixes to chose from! The extended is 100% freestyle with the same instrumentals and synth cues used in 80's freestyle records. The added touch with the robotic vocoders is nice icing on the cake. Ferry is freestyling Enjoy!

Old 09-28-2004, 05:11 PM
New To CF

Mani Treavor is on a distinguished road
I lived in Wiesbaden/ Frankfurt am area....and freestyle was big there too....Lots of freestyle clubs....playing of course the big name of Gemany like Lil Suzy and Stevie b, Johnny O, and Body Base, one of my fave freetyle artist of all time....I also got a stevie b shirt sign by him....it was awesome...but you just have to look around to the smaller clubs and not the supper mega Techno clubs that europe is known for.........and yes i think Stevie B will always be the king of freestyle world wide...for I've heard his songs on radio and clubs in the U.S.A and all over Europe and Asia...for for those Americans that think George Lamond or any other of the great artist in the States are number one, think twice....you must understand....the impact Stevie B has world wide......
Old 09-29-2004, 01:56 AM
CF Senior Freestyler

francis
No doubt. Stevie is the most famous Freestyle artist, worlwide speaking! He is the only one to come regurlarly doping shows in many countries as Canada, Brazil, Germany.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:53 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
No doubt. Stevie is the most famous Freestyle artist, worlwide speaking! He is the only one to come regurlarly doping shows in many countries as Canada, Brazil, Germany.
Stevie is doing some shows in Germany this October !!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:34 AM
New To CF

maw_hn is on a distinguished road
Hello everybody!

I'm from southern Germany, too. My city is called Heilbronn. It is near Stuutgart. But I have to say, that I never heard something about a German Freestyle- scene. The only one I ever have been was a small gig of StevieB near my homtown. In the clubs I know around hear black music is nearly the only music that is played. A few clubs play Dance music and some of them play about one hour freestyle each night. So can some of the German people around here tell me which clubs near Stuttgart play freestyle? I really need to know that.

Marco
Old 06-05-2005, 06:05 AM
CF Freestyler

Chris-TheNuk is on a distinguished road
This Year I hear that Johnny will be Back in germany, Apollo will also do some more gigs and I think The Officer will also do some.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:07 AM
New To CF

starzfighter is on a distinguished road
Hm. I'm from Landau in Germany. It's next to Karlsruhe. A few years ago I lived in Karlsruhe with my parents. But i must say freestyle isn't that famous anymore like it was. 7 years ago many dancing schools played freestyle and taught some of the kids how to dance. There was also a big disco called A65 which played 1 hour freestyle every evening, but i must say freestyle isn't really alive in Germany. And who do you think i like most? Stevie B. I have bought some discs from him and also The Freestyle discs from ZYX. I really think you hear most about lil suzy, stevie B and johnny o because of this cds.
When you are looking for freestyle, you don't find much cds. The most regulary releases comes from ZYX with freestyle 1 ..... freestyle 26 (Im not sure what number it is). The most music played in clubs is black music, different kinds of rap, trance and some techno.
(For example ayna 's new album ist avaible at amazon.de, so the chance of finding it in a record shop is really low.)

Ah would be nice if you can tell us when Stevie will come.

I also must say that i don't like all the freestyle which is coming out. for example: nyasia and zoe 's songs I don't like much.
But i like George Lamond, Nu Image and Noel 's songs very much.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:19 AM
New To CF

starzfighter is on a distinguished road
If you want to know a bit more about german freestyle scene look here:
http://www.freestyle-forever.de/Welcome.htm

there are some samples and some video of live acts.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:03 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

when Stevie will come ??

He was here last October and he had some Gigs in Hanau, Darmstadt, Berlin, Munich, Frankenthal...

I dont think so that he come again in the near Future, cause some of the Gig´s weren´t crowded that much for exception Hanau, berlin. Personally i was in Darmstadt. It was cool but he is always playing the whole bunch of his old songs. Nothing new. And it was not crowded that much.

Also i dont know if his new Album will be available Overseas. For what i know it is released in Brazil.