Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Charts, Reviews, Marketplace and more... > Freestyle Album Reviews and Artist Interviews

Notices

Freestyle Album Reviews and Artist Interviews Forum for discussions regarding Freestyle album reviews and artist interviews

Freestyle Forum: Nyasia - This Is Me

Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 PM
The Gay Lord of Freestyle

ChuckD will become famous soon enough
Nyasia - This Is Me

Hiya Clubfreestylers!

I'm far from what would be considered a "freestyle expert" but I did make three recent purchases, and since people are always asking "Where's new material?" I thought that I'd make an attempt at reviewing these new CDs. I'm posting one review tonight, the others will follow this weekend.

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion, and what I like, you may not, and what I don't like may be your faves.

The topic of this thread is "This Is Me", the new full length CD from Nyasia.

"This Is Me" opens with a remix of Nya's debut hit, "Now & Forever". While Nya has recorded other hits, "N & F" has always been a favorite of mine, and I've heard various remixes of it. This mix sounds fresh, but retains a flavor of the original version, instead of being a radical departure (ex: house mix).

The next song is a remake of the early 80s classic "99 1/2" by Carol Lynne Townes. Nyasia's update is a duet with recording artist Wendy. I know that some people are dead set against remakes. I enjoy them, especially if the artist can make it "their own" and both Nyasia and Wendy shine on this duet. Their voices sound great together.

Track three is called "Broken Heart" and features Pure Pleazure. Just after the song starts, we hear the artists shout themselves out, which seems to happen quite often now. I've wondered why freestyle artists don't do it with their songs, so when I heard "Nyasia, Pure Pleazure" I just smiled. I hadn't heard new material from Pure Pleazure, and they sound in good form here with Nya. Nice beats and vocal effects that don't overtake the real vocals on the track.

Track 4 is "Tell Me Again". This track is one of my faves on the CD. It sounds new, but I can see myself dancing to this one "back in the day". I love how the beat stops at almost the three minute mark, and Nya's voice is front and center.

Track 5 is called "I Don't Want Your Love". This track is not a favorite of mine. The groove is slower, and sensual, but I'm not really feeling this one. The lyrics fit the groove, as the song is about sex, not rejecting someone. I think that if that perhaps if the lyrics were about seducing someone that was "loved" it may read differently to me.

Track 6 is "Betray", and at over 5 minutes, it's the longest track on the CD. The song was written by Safire, and features Vanessa Conde, Edwin Ramos and Heartbrake on background vocals. There is something about this song that is very familiar to me, but I can't place my finger on it. There are no samples on it, but it reminds me of another song, and I can't recall which one. LOL

Track 7 is a remix of "Who's Got Your Love". Much like "Now & Forever", the remix is not a radical departure, but still sounds fresh. The vocals (in my opinion) sound clearer than on the original MicMac release.

Track 8 is "Taking Back" and could be considered Nya's "I Will Survive". I rank this one up there with "Tell Me Again" as one of my fave tracks here. Great message/lyrics in the song about taking back one's dignity and power.

Track 9 is "Rectify". Tight beats, Nya sounds great on this, and edits by DJ Paradise make the song a winner.

Track 10 is "Physical Attraction" (Remix). Some fans may recognize this song from the Carlos Berrios cd "Don't Look Back". I have to say, I like this remix better than the version that is on the previously released CD. I think it has a harder edge to it

Track 10 is "Please Don't Wake Me". I felt that this song was one of the most unique sounding ones on the CD, and Nya's voice has a sweet quality to it here. We get to hear more multi edits from DJ Paradise as well, which is always a good thing!

Track 12 is a "Breakaton Mix" of "Broken Heart" which features Pure Pleazure. Not my style, and I stick to the original when it comes to this song. It sounds very different from the original, but doesn't do anything for me.

The "Bonus Editz" section are extreme (in a good way) remixes of "Now & Forever", "Wake Me", and "Betrayed".

The out takes feature Nya's & Paradise' daughter Kellirose singing "Who's Got Your Love", and messages of support from other industry people to Nyasia.

All and all, this CD is a great listen, and I was definitely not disappointed with it.

You can purchase a download version, or the CD from the Tazmania website.

http://www.tazmaniarecords.com/html_pages/store.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nyasia+-+New+Album+-+This+Is+Me+01.jpg (37.9 KB, 18 views)

Here are some of the best weight loss options you can buy... CLICK HERE!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Sal Collaziano is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you very much for he review, Chuck! What REALLY interests me here is the remixes.. I really wanted to hear them. I posted a thread - maybe here or maybe on NYF a few years ago kinda requesting that the original Freestyle hits be remade with a new sound to them. This sounds exactly like what I was asking for. The vocals are probably fine, really - but it's the "sounds" that need to be updated.

As technology advances, sounds change - and you can normally very easily tell how old a song is - or what decade it came from - by listening closely to the sounds.. I feel that if Freestyle vocals from original tracks were abstracted and added to similar sound tracks with updated technology, they could be hits again...

Is there any way you could link me to the songs Nyasia remade?

Find us on Facebook!
A number of women agree that I'm handsome. Don't forget "zero" is a number.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Hiya Sal,

Here's a link to Nyasia's My Space page.

http://www.myspace.com/nyasiamusic

You don't have to be a My Space member to hear the music. When the page opens, on the left hand side is a section with music embeded there. The first selection is a 6 minute mix of the "This Is Me" Cd. The songs are mixed in this order:

99 1/2, Now & Forever, Betray, I Don't Want Your Love, Who's Got Your Love, Taking Back, Tell Me Again, Physical Attraction, Broken Heart, Please Don't Wake Me
Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Sal Collaziano is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Hiya Sal,

Here's a link to Nyasia's My Space page.

http://www.myspace.com/nyasiamusic

You don't have to be a My Space member to hear the music. When the page opens, on the left hand side is a section with music embeded there. The first selection is a 6 minute mix of the "This Is Me" Cd. The songs are mixed in this order:

99 1/2, Now & Forever, Betray, I Don't Want Your Love, Who's Got Your Love, Taking Back, Tell Me Again, Physical Attraction, Broken Heart, Please Don't Wake Me
Yes. This is what I was talking about a few years ago. Leave the vocals as is but update the music itself - keeping the same basic structure but using the sounds that the latest technology makes possible... Why can't all Freestyle artists do this? This new album from Nyasia sounds great!

Find us on Facebook!
A number of women agree that I'm handsome. Don't forget "zero" is a number.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Recording / Performing Artist * VIP Member

PURE TREND is on a distinguished road
that was a cool review n stuff!!! My fav song is rectify!!! I'm so glad this site is back!! Yay!!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

yburgos7 will become famous soon enough
Well I never thought I would find myself back on this site...but here I am showing support not only to one of my great friends but to one of the greatest freestyle artists the genre has delivered. With that said...Nyasia has truly shown her growth and her diversity with her new album...she isn't afraid to be different and do her own thing...this album truly represents who she really is! I would have to say that the "This is me" album is one of my favorites...she did a great job with all the songs but I must say that "Broken Heart" is my favorite song along with "Betray", "Physical Attraction" and "99 1/2"...actually I just love the whole album! =)
Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Honorary CF Member

La Mas Grande is on a distinguished road
I love the whole cd but I must say Physical Attraction is my favorite song on it. Naya as always has a beautiful voice and with this cd she outdid herself.

dayzd n confused suck ass

Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM

She sure did, LMG!

Yahi! Muah!