Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Community Lounge > General Discussion / Community Introductions

Notices

General Discussion / Community Introductions This is the community lounge. Discuss anything other than Freestyle dance music here. If you're new, please take a moment to introduce yourself.

Freestyle Forum: Next Wednesday (4/13/05) A Day of Silence

Old 04-05-2005, 07:31 PM
The Gay Lord of Freestyle

ChuckD will become famous soon enough
Next Wednesday (4/13/05) A Day of Silence

The Day of Silence, a project of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) in collaboration with the United States Student Association (USSA), is a student-led day of action where those who support making anti-LGBT bias unacceptable in schools take a day-long vow of silence to recognize and protest the discrimination and harassment -- in effect, the silencing -- experienced by LGBT students and their allies.

The Day of Silence takes place April 13, 2005.

WHY SILENCE?

For too long, the silencing of LGBT people and their allies has been the norm. Whether it's the lack of LGBT-inclusive material in educational resources, or role assignments based upon our assumed gender, such silence and silencing affects us all in a profound way.

Just as profound, however, can be the use of silence as a form of protest. The Day of Silence moves the power of these personal experiences to a community-focused effort. The Day of Silence is a way of turning silence on its head, of reclaiming silence as a tool.

The Day of Silence institutes a visible silence, a silence during which participants protest anti-LGBT discrimination and abuse. Such an effort also allows us to reflect upon how powerful silencing can be, to focus on how we can make our own voices stronger and to begin to stop silencing ourselves.