Club Freestyle

Go Back   Club Freestyle - The Freestyle Dance Music Authority > Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Forums > American Freestyle Dance Music Discussion

Notices

American Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Forum for discussions regarding Freestyle dance music made in America

Freestyle Forum: Is freestyle for preps or for ghetto peeps???

Old 02-28-2001, 05:42 PM
CF Freestyler

freestylefreak4
I believe that freestyle is a preppy thing... but since that freestyle has the latin hip hop flava to it. who does it appeal more to???? Preppy or Ghetto???

ace

Old 02-28-2001, 06:17 PM
chyqo

Cool

i think it's a toss up - back in the early-mid 90s freestyle (latin hip-hop) was more ghetto-esque cuz it was the music to listen to back then - now it's hip-hop / rnb that ghetto peepz listen to (thank god!) cuz i think through the years freestyle has become more 'pop-y' - and i'm not really sure if preps listen to freestyle - but i could see clean-cut people listening to freestyle cuz it's not all raunchy and nasty sounding as hip-hop n stuff - but then again - they probably listen to alternative rock kinda stuff... i don't consider myself either, i think of myself just being normal - so all normal people listen to freestyle.
Old 02-28-2001, 06:52 PM
CF Member

pfc ex0r
both sides listen to it its not a ghetto thing or prep thing
peace and keep freestyle alive
Old 02-28-2001, 07:04 PM
CF Member

djmongo1one
Exclamation

I agree. I don't think that Freestyle Music is generally a preppy or ghetto type of music to listen to. I have to admit I'm ghetto but I work with a lot of preppy and ghetto types that love freestyle because it is a music with a more positive energy and it speaks about a lifestyle that more people can relate to since everyone goes through the turmoils of heart break and the free feeling of being in love. After all, isn't that what freestyle is all about?
Old 02-28-2001, 07:07 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

toni is an unknown quantity at this point
freestyle is for whoever loves it and respects it!!!!
Old 02-28-2001, 08:19 PM
CF Member

Mandy
Smile

Freestyle is for those with love in their hearts....or for those who have broken hearts...those who are mendin their hearts....those who are madly passionately in love...those who just like a hot ass beat....n great lyrics! BUTTT if you make me choose I can definitely make a decision on this one....I NEVER MET A PREPPY PERSON WHO LIKED FREESTYLE... neverrrrr(i had ALL preps in my classes in high school, ewww they had bad taste in music in my eyes anyways) all my "GHETTO" friends love freestyle(or rap/r&b/reggae/ spanish). Even when i went to see Judy Torres in my town...I must say it was definitely more of a "ghetto" crowd. Why dont u ask the artists they know who watches them perform, that would be kinda interestin. I think anyone can love freestyle though if they open their hearts bye bye :O)
Old 02-28-2001, 08:47 PM
CF Senior Freestyler

toni is an unknown quantity at this point
around here it was a guido/prep thing...its not a ghetto thang here
Old 03-01-2001, 08:49 AM
CF Freestyler

freestylefreak4
in miami more preps than anything

in miami more preps hear freestyle. ghetto peeps just listen to hip hop and gangsta rap!!! it's a private school thing to. i know for a fact that people in private school listen to more freestyle... i didn't go to private school but most of my friends did and they've listened to freestyle all the time!!! by the way private school kids are preps!!! but i do agree that who cares who listens to freestyle, the more the marrier!!!
Old 03-01-2001, 09:29 AM
CF Freestyler

lilitaliana
Smile Both.......

My husband is from the ghetto and I am from white suburbia, so I think it's for whoever can appreciate it. Not all people from the ghetto listen to Hip Hop!!

"Next time exercise your right to remain silent.....talking shit just bought you more time!"
Old 03-01-2001, 09:32 AM
CF Member

FreestylePrynce
Arrow

Prerry because a lot of the people u like ghetto hip-hop like their music raw and right from the streets. It's about the hardships of life. I doubt they wanna hear about love.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:08 AM
CF Member

carlos909
It aint ghetto or prepee people - it is for the casually dressed(Guido type ), loves the night life, clean cut, and for guys - who know how to treat women - and for girls who show deep love to their man

Thats who listens to freestyle!
Old 03-01-2001, 12:44 PM
CF Member

synbad
so now we battle the stereotypes....
Come on...wtf...Freestyle is for anybody who chooses not to have a closed mind, it music about love and it doenst matter where you from. I guess thats why Texas is so different from the rest of the states. We, Latinos, listen to everything from freestyle to hip hop. We don't care if its ghetto, barrio,or preppy if its got a beat then its a jam. Why try to make a clasification for the music, its hard enough for freestyle to survive..Now it has to battle stereotypes
Writer Hip Hop/Dance Column- Tu Y Yo Magazine
Contact Me
Old 03-01-2001, 12:54 PM
CF Member

djmongo1one
Exclamation

Good Point Synbad! Like I said earlier its not fro just preppiesor ghetto people. Its for the people who wanna listen!
Old 03-01-2001, 03:20 PM
CF Freestyler

monarico4
i'm not a prep and i'm not ghetto.....i don't think its either........i think its more of a latin/italian thing.....but freestyle is for anybody who appreciates good music.....

~lOOk at mE sHiNinG liKe a sTaR,mE wiTh aLL mY mOneY & mY fAnCy cAr~

~tHe diffeRenCe betWeen meN & bOys is tHe pRiCe of tHeiR tOys..neitHer cAn aFForD me~

[email protected]
http://hometown.aol.com/monarico4/
Old 03-01-2001, 04:28 PM

Jade is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking True dat!!!

I AM definitely NOT a preppy or a ghetto chica either!! I think freestyle is more of a euro/latin genre of music. At least that seems to be it's main audience: Italians, Latinos, Greeks, Arabs, Spaniards, Germans, French, Eastern European... Did I forget anybody??

Besides, like Synbad said MUSIC IS MUSIC. And if you really truly love music then you probably don't listen to only freestyle, there is probably some pop in there, with some hip hop, house, rap, dance, euro, country, classical, foreign language music that you listen to.

But as a rule as to who listens to freestyle.. it's the ginos and the ginas (guidos and guidettes to my American friends) HANDS DOWN that listen to freestyle. And don't say no! If you love freestyle you have to admit there is at least a little bit of gino or gina in you!!!

Take it from me, the GINA SUPREME!!

The only real way to show love is through RESPECT!
Old 03-01-2001, 10:00 PM
CF Member

Location: Rochester,NY, Springfield,MA, Pittsburgh,PA, Wallingford, CT
Ty
I think freestyle--actually i can picture freestyle being listened to by urban Preppy people---it's club music too. Nice cars, nice clothes, good hair, good looking, etc.

The ghetto part works too because of the breakbeats and such, and the history of it. I have rich clean cut italian family members that listen to it, and I have a lot of asian and latino friends in the "less privileged" section of town that listen to is as well. I guess it shouldn't matter---it's not that popular as it is, so why limit WHO can listen to it?
Old 03-02-2001, 03:07 AM
CF Freestyler

freestylefreak4
being preppy is being clean cut, nice clothes, someone that likes to a dance club not a hip hop club. i'm extremely preppy and when i go to a club i make sure that it's not a hip hop club(yes they put hip hop, but not all the time.) i guess in miami it's different, cause not many thugs, ghetto peeps listen to freestyle. always the preps or the sporty kind of person. i have ghetto friends that hate when i jam to freestyle. also just b/c u lived in a ghetto area doesn;t mean ur ghetto. the way i mean ghetto is someone that dresses and acts like nelly, dmx, eminem, etc... yes it's true that music is music. but u can't tell me that rock or country is a ghetto thing. i bet ghetto peeps don't even think about listening to rock. i guess since here miami it's a preppy thing i'm sort of used to it.
Old 03-02-2001, 07:39 AM
CF Member

synbad
OKAY, WELL THERE WE GO, SO THE STEREOTYPE FOR FREAK IS THAT ANYBODY WHO DRESSES WITH STYLE AND GOES TO A DANCE CLUB IS PREPPY AND PEOPLE THAT GO TO A HIP HOP CLUB ARE GHETTO. DAMN YOU MUST BE IN WHITE SUBURBIA. APPARENTLY YOU HAVE LEAD A SHELTERED LIFE.....
MA IF THATS IS HOW IT IS UP NORTH, I'M GLAD I'M DOWN SOUTH WHERE ALL THE STYLES JUST MERGE INTO ONE.
Writer Hip Hop/Dance Column- Tu Y Yo Magazine
Contact Me
Old 03-02-2001, 08:31 AM
CF Freestyler

lilitaliana
Angry

I have to agree with Synbad.....freestyle is for anyone who can appreciate it whether they are preppy or ghetto has nothing to do with it. I take offense to people who say that people in the ghetto listen to only hip hop and go to hip hop clubs. That's not always true. I am married to a Puerto Rican who was raised in Spanish Harlem in the projects and loves freestyle. Don't say all ghetto people listen to hip hop because that's not true.

"Next time exercise your right to remain silent.....talking shit just bought you more time!"
Old 03-02-2001, 11:50 AM
CF Member

Ty
Like I said before...freestyle is for preps, ppl in the ghetto, and everyone in between. The content of it is universal---Love---everyone can relate to that. Sure not everyone can relate to selling drugs, the projects, as well as not all people can say they know what it's like to live in a housing track or a quiet neighborhood with a pool. however, I'm sure MOST EVERYONE of all shapes, sizes, and colors can relate to love.
PEACE
Old 03-02-2001, 11:52 AM
CF Freestyler

lilitaliana
Smile

Nicely said Ty.

Old 03-02-2001, 11:55 AM
CF Member

Ty
P.S. The projects, housing tracks, and other references are just references---i'm not saying that is how "ALL" ppl in that "label" are or live---so don't give me any "ur not PC type of drama."
PEACE
Old 03-02-2001, 12:34 PM
PrOsKiLLz

Lightbulb

Well Music is music, I Love hip hopand I'm ghetto, but also love Freestyle to the fullest. Its for all people. Imagine a returning TKA doing a new frestyle song with someone like Cuban Link or Jay-z Busting a few lyrics on there. The result would be Majic. Music and freestyle is all people.
Old 03-02-2001, 01:32 PM
CF Member

hekt
I am the Epitome of "white suburbia america" and I am anything but prep. I think freestyle is a state of mind, it does`nt depend on where one shops or what kind of clothes they wear. I can usually be caught in a backwords Billabong hat, a wife beater, some surf shorts and flip flop sandles blasting some freestyle on my Mp3 walkman.
Old 03-02-2001, 01:34 PM
CF Member

hekt
Oh and proskillz.... I can totally imagen hearing Cuban Link on some hardcore beat Nyasia track, that would be a great combo. Or "Still telling lies to me" with a TKA beat. K ill stop getting all exited now.