PDA

View Full Version : SKWAK BOX

dragongem
02-05-2001, 06:52 AM
Can I achieve the same vocal effect as the late Roger Troutman did with his skwak box if I run my keyboard through a guitar talker with a mic line, or does anyone know where I can get my hands on a working skwak box. I've heard they're hard to find.

Joe Grandberg
02-06-2001, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Roger used a Heil Talkbox with a older, inexpensive yamaha keyboard for the input signal. I'm really into vocoders and I read that somewhere on the net while resarching the subject. Oh yeah i've seen it in a rap video he was in. expect to pay about $150.00 for that unit... hope this helps
Joe Grandberg
Hyperspace Productions

dragongem
02-07-2001, 05:48 AM
I just purchased a talk box the day before you posted your reply. That was the exact item I purchased. Good call on the price too. I paid $150.00 and some change altogether for it. I'm looking forward to producing some futuristic FREESTYLE jams with an edge as soon as I receive it. When I was living in central California searching for this piece the dealers around there called it a "Skwak Box." I almost got my hands on a used one for $99.00 back in 1998-99. I was just going to replace the surgical tubing after I got it but someone beat me to the sale and snagged it instead. Oh well, at least now I'll be getting a brand new one with an unused mouthpiece. Thanks again Joe and good luck with your vocoders. I hope you come up with some SLAMMIN' creations. FREESTYLE 2 THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!